pmccoy

Well Known Member
I am working on my list of items to wrap up before closing my bottom wing skins. I decided to finish off my QB fuel tanks, which includes installing the cover plate, fuel level sender, drain valve and pressure testing.

Searching other posts I have pretty much decided to throw out both the cork gasket on the cover plate, and the rubber gasket on the fuel sender cap. I will use lots of proseal on both including the screws.

My question is on the CAV-110 drain valve. I can't seem to find any info on whether these should be prosealed as well? Any comments would be appreciated.

Don't use proseal on the drain valve. Just a thread sealer. I use "form-a-gasket", but any good thread sealer will do fine.
You will likely be removing the drain valves every 5 years or so to clean the O-rings.

I asked Van's about the drain value and they recommended TFE paste or fuel lube. I did choose to use the rubber and cork seals, though.

Seems like several of us here are close to being ready to close up the bottom wing skings.

Sorry to pop up an old thread...

Is nylon tape a bad idea for the drain valve threads? Can I buy any of the other stuff at the local hardware stores?

Should I be using anything on the 36degree fittings?

Thanks!

Sorry to pop up an old thread...

Is nylon tape a bad idea for the drain valve threads? Can I buy any of the other stuff at the local hardware stores?

Should I be using anything on the 36degree fittings?

Thanks!

Yes - the tape is a bad idea - you don't want bits floating around in the tank. Fuel lube (AS&S sells a tube called 'ez turn') is the way to go. Unfortunately, you'll need to order it from one of the av parts suppliers.