humptybump

Well Known Member
I've been watching fuel flow variations and have a growing list of possibilities and could use some help with the order I should tackle this list and what test(s) I my use for each.

Aircraft:
My RV-8 is an O320 with a fixed propeller and carburetor.

Observation:
In initial cruise (2450-2480 rpm, old school leaning, 6,000ft or higher) I am seeing a higher than normal fuel flow (near 8.5-9.5 GPH). If its a long flight - greater than 2 hours - the fuel flow will gradually settle down (7-7.5 GPH)- even though I am not changing the throttle or mixture. When I fill up the tanks, I will calculate the actual rate and find it in the 7-7.5 GPH range.

The fuel flow transducer was originally installed with a Fuel Scan 450. I do not recall issues with that setup.

Possibilities:
  1. Poor connection to MGL Extreme EMS
  2. Poor location of the FloScan 201 transducer (mounted right at the carb)
  3. Turbulence from engine driven fuel pump
  4. Poor signal processing inside the EMS (less tolerant ?)
  5. Your guess

I was initially inclined to eliminate #2 since it worked with the FS450 but it may be a poor location for the MGL EMS data processing. The same goes for #3.

I'm interested in diagnostic tests I might try. And, on the off chance there are others out there with an MGL EMS + FloScan 201 transducer, I'm interested in your installation and observations.