miyu1975

Well Known Member
Can someone speak to the differences in the FP props between catto and Sensenich...other than metal vs. wooden core(glass on top)...
?

This has been discussed quite a bit and can be found by searching old posts.

I have flown four props...Hartzell, Sensinich and Catto and MT. If you are curious about Catto vs. Sensi....I would say that in terms of flying the Catto is definitely smoother (although NOT discernibly smoother than my Hartzell). Since the Sensi is heavy and has more mass, you will notice that it spins up slower and and takes longer to slow down (the prop, not the plane) when you pull the power back. The Catto reacts more or less instantaneously with the application or reduction of power.

Something that isn't discussed often...the inertia of the Sensi will allow it to "free spin" more when trying to start it. This actually helps with hot starting in my opinion. The Catto and MT are so light that if the starter motor isn't spinning the prop and the cylinder's aren't firing...then the prop isn't spinning.

Ryan,

I loved my Catto, right up until it was taken out by that trailer back in June.

The replacement will most likely be a Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop. (http://www.whirlwindpropellers.com/ga/product_lycoming.html).

Sensenich was coming out with a similar product but they have delayed its introduction. Had it been ready, I would have ordered it.

The Catto was exceptionally smooth, as any wood prop should be. It weighed all of nine, yes 9, pounds. The Whirlwind GAP weighs 18 pounds and has a nickel leading edge over its composite blade so you don?t have to worry about rain. The Catto runs a little under $1,700 for a two bladed prop and the Whirlwind is less than $2,400, I think.

Contact American Propeller to get on the list for the Whirlwind, if interested. The wait is only six weeks, according to Bob.

3-Blade Catto for ~7 Years

I confirm all the things stated previously about the Catto prop. Some things about the Catto prop many people don't think about: (1) treated as a 'wood' prop if you have a prop strike (i.e., dial check the crank shaft flange and if 'OK' only other thing to do is check accessory gear box (and a new prop of course)); (2) Catto props are tough - even if they do strike the ground you will only bust off at most about 6 inches from the tip (you can imply from that that the blade is strong and unlikely to ever separate in flight), and (3) the 3 blade prop serves as a nice cradle to support your airplane (without harming the wing tips in anyway) if you elect not use your tail wheel for support. AND, after you bust one up, they make an interesting conversation piece when mounted on the wall!

Jay,

I sure wish my prop strike was a simple little one like you described!

To give you an idea how strong they are, if you happen to hit something a few inches from the spinner, they will not break but your engine mount will. :(

My Prop Strike...

Was right on the runway center line! (Tar in the cracks across the runway of the 50% of the runway that remained open. Wheel landing, brakes and tar (and then more brakes) resulted in the CG moving to the wrong end of the fuselage! Upon exit I was reminded of my "dilbert dunker" training in P-cola!:rolleyes:

Sensenich was coming out with a similar product but they have delayed its introduction. Had it been ready, I would have ordered it.

Can you elaborate on this? I spoke with the guys at Osh this year. They have the O-235 model ready and they say the O-320 is ungoing testing. They thought I would be flying this year(still on my first wing... got a couples of years to go) and told me that they'll probably beat me to market...

Saw the O-235 model and was impress. Looks good (wayyy nice), really light (just a bit more compared to a catto, around 60% of a sens metal).

Can you elaborate on this? ...
Yep, the O-320 prop was supposed to be put on the market right after SnF but still hasn't made it out. The O-360 prop will come out after that.

They will release the O-320 prop but the question is when. You are right, they will make it before your first flight.

I really like the way you set the pitch with the Sensnich over the WW but if it is not ready, then I will go with the WW prop.

BTW, the O-235 prop has had some issues: http://www.sensenich.com/new/servicememo_c08-1d.pdf

I sure hope the WW prop doesn't develop the same issues!