DallasBob

I am very, VERY! happy with my new Catto propeller that I just received. I have only flown it for a couple of hours and I can honestly say that I was blown away over the entire experience. I fly a newly purchased 6a that had a Sensenich 83 pitch (2blade). The Catto has given me 10-15 more knots and it is absolutely amazing at how much smoother and quieter it is......much thanks to Nichole and all the crew at Catto propeller .......:)

lower cowl with 3 blades

I am considering ordering a 3 bladed Catto prop for my RV-9A. i heard it is hard to take the lower cowling off with a 3 bladed prop on the nose gear models. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Yes...

Ravi, on ours we extended the nosegear slot as far forward as possible using the Fairing made by Bob in Arizona. That way you could get both lower blades over the lower cowl. On the RV-10's, some guys make the air intake scoop removable for a three-blade.

Best,

The direct answer to your question is "yes, a 3 blade makes it more difficult to get the lower cowl on and off. ". It's not a showstopper, especially when you consider the advantages of Craig's 3-blades. As indicated above, you need to extend the nose gear slot as far FWF as possible... That reduces the difficulty of lower cowl installation. In my case, I extended the slot as far fwd as would remain covered by the intersection fairing.

I know that 3 blade props are definitely smoother and quieter, but I have never heard of 15 additional knots speed. Can Craig or anyone else verify this statement?

JohnnMorgan

I know that 3 blade props are definitely smoother and quieter, but I have never heard of 15 additional knots speed. Can Craig or anyone else verify this statement?

JohnnMorgan

The speed increase is BS but everything else about Catto prop is true. It is a very good deal for those looking for light weight and good performance.

FP is a compromise from CS, you have to know what you want.

You can't beat Catto for all around economy, fun to fly, and Van's performance numbers. But it won't go 15 knots faster.

Uhmmmm

For what it's worth, my -3 was not pitched correctly and Catto got me more speed, albeit not 15 knots. Did the same for my -6a. Great props.

That being said, I'm not sure if a 3-blade Catto can get 15kts over a 2-blade 83"pitch metal sensenich prop unless the Catto is letting the engine develop more HP & RPM. I like those metal props for durability but the 3 blade Catto takes the prize for being so smooth.

Congratulations on the new 3-blade Catto. Fine people and great props.

Cj

I know that 3 blade props are definitely smoother and quieter, but I have never heard of 15 additional knots speed.

JohnnMorgan

The speed increase is BS but everything else about Catto prop is true.

You can't beat Catto for all around economy, fun to fly, and Van's performance numbers. But it won't go 15 knots faster.

If the previous prop and the new prop were set up correctly there is no way the airspeed increase would be that high.

But... If the old prop was not set up correctly (wrong pitch), or set up for climb (vice cruise) or the engine/prop combo had the 2600 rpm limit (and now he does not) or any combination; then it could be possible that from his old configuration to his new configuration the difference is that much.

10-15 kts is a big range of airspeed though.

Hard to deny the "cool" factor of a 3-blader...they look great. But ultimately I went with two blades for (relative!) ease of cowl removal.

If the previous prop and the new prop were set up correctly there is no way the airspeed increase would be that high.

But... If the old prop was not set up correctly (wrong pitch), or set up for climb (vice cruise) or the engine/prop combo had the 2600 rpm limit (and now he does not) or any combination; then it could be possible that from his old configuration to his new configuration the difference is that much.

10-15 kts is a big range of airspeed though.

If the engine is an O-360, then the 83" pitch is definitely a climb prop. My Sensi is the 85" pitch, which is the cruise prop for that engine. Might help account for the speed difference.

Catto 3 Blade

My 3 blade Catto prop has nearly 600 hours on it in 6 years and I couldn't be more pleased. Follow Vans direction for cutting the slot in the cowl and listen to other posting advise on length of the slot. A bit of practice in removing the prop is all that is needed to do it easily each time. Enjoy your prop!

Steve Koziol
RV9A
N424JK
O320 D2A