LifeofReiley

Well Known Member
Well.. Today we have the gear leg fairings and wheel pants on final fit. First flight in this cofiguration, no wind to speak of, we went to lunch. The prop is on spec and I was flying this O-320 at 2300 AGL, 29.8 inchs MP, 2800 RPM clicking 180 kts true. GS was 187 kts. I did not even have time to clean the plane up, as we were just going a short distance and landed at the food stop. SOLD on the three blade Catto, SMOOTH and very efficient!~ :D Oh, the engine is built out of my shop.... :eek: At 13.7 Hrs on the engine we're not even broke in yet. I love these planes!!

Nuff Said.... :cool:

Last edited:
I gained 15 MPH on the top end and, cut take off distance by 750', increased climb rate by 700 FPM by going to a 2 blade Catto.

It's like I got a new plane!

We also connected the ram air today, FAB to Cowl. This also helped out. We're pumping a calculated 187 hp out of this engine. It's nice to see the MP pressure up there, it's a verification of the ponies. I'm very pleased!

Last edited:
You were missed at Taylor

Cam Benton ran alone in the RV Red (320) class. You would have beat him in his RV-4 with the performance you are reporting. I saw Mike Thompson's 2-blade Catto prop and it looks threatening. I beat him with my 72 inch dia 7666bladed Hartzell but not by much. He said he slowed for a few mile band of rain between turns 4 and 5 to protect his prop - otherwise he might have caught me. He also chopped the wingtips and added tip plates so I'm not sure of the part of his performance improvement that was due to the prop.

Bob Axsom

Bob, it looks like you need to start saving pennies for a -7496 or WW-200RV :D. Catto might work too, but since you already have CS it's hard to go back. Everytime I read about you guys I want to get the -4 project done... I need a higher paying job.

make one for an RV-10?

Catto for the 540? How would that do vs. the recommended Hartzell?

candy apple Catto

Most have seen progress pictures of my candy apple red (RV-7A) hot rod. Craig didn't even bat an eye when I asked him to paint the tips in my House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red. He has to be one of the best to work with. I won't be flying for a couple of months but I believe him when he said my RV-7 will be 2 knots faster than my hangar mate's RV-7 and fixed pitch Sensenich :D
candy2.jpg