Steve Brown

Well Known Member
I've got a Catto 3 blade with a small nick.

I'm assuming sand & fill with some epoxy/filler mix, but what epoxy & what filler.

I've emailed Catto several times asking for advise about fixing the nick with no response.

Anyone done this, have any advice, or been able to get a response from Catto on it?

I use the fast JB weld.
Fill the gap and wait until it just starts to set up and trim flush a sharp razor blade. No sanding needed.

Lynne
:cool:

Hi Steve,

I have talked with Craig about this in the past--he keeps talking about putting prop repair directions on his web site but I think he is a little busy trying to keep up with production demand.

He told me to use a high quality epoxy (I use West Systems) and if necessary a good quality filler (I used West Systems--the red colored filler--don't remember the West system #). Assuming your ding does not go down into the underlying wood core, simply fill and sand--and if you built your RV you have a great deal of experience doing that.

I got a pretty good ding at the 2007 Big Bend Ranch State Park fly in and the repair was pretty simple--I did it on the ramp the day before leaving the Ranch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Does Craig use any kind of reinforcement under the leading edge glass (perhaps a strip of flox/epoxy filler)? Or does it seem to be just a glass fabric wrap around the leading edge?

I'm thinking about how I want to finish the big prop for the radial.

I have a wood prop on my ultra light. I had a nick and was told by a fella who new a lot about wood props to mix a little baking soda with crazy glue or super glue. I gave it a try and was amazed at how well it worked. It was easy to smooth and wears like iron. You have to apply it fast though because it hardens almost instantly. The whole repair took a few minutes.

Hi Dan,

I understand from Craigs web site (search on Catto props) that he has a minumum of .25" of glass over the maple laminant core. The leading and trailing edges, per his web site diagrams, are built up even more. When I had the ding mentioned in my post above, the depth was about 3/32" into the leading edge (about 8" from the tip). It was not into the core and very easy to repair.

Reference the leading edges, you can order the prop with FAA approved edge guards which appear to be "formed" UHMW plastic tape. I now have that on my leading edges and after the latest flight to BBRSP (site of the last ding) no damage occurred. Mel has more experience/hours with this protection and can probably comment on its longevity.

Cheers,

db

Dave,

Did you order the edge guard from Catto? I didn't order it with my prop and would like to add it now.

Thanks,

Hi Tony,

Yes, it was ordered from Craig--cost around $80 if I remember correctly.

Best Wishes,

db

I ordered my "prop guard" from Aircraft Spruce. Less than $50. The 2 blade kit is enough for a Catto 3-blade. It's been on there since December of '04.

Last edited:
Regarding Prop Guard, am I correct in assuming that you need to be careful to put the same amount on each blade to prevent getting things out of balance? How critical is this? I too am considering doing this to my three blade Catto.

Of Course

You simply cut the piece of tape into 3 equal pieces and put one on each blade.

Structural engineer hat on

I've got a Catto 3 blade with a small nick.

I'm assuming sand & fill with some epoxy/filler mix, but what epoxy & what filler.

I've emailed Catto several times asking for advise about fixing the nick with no response.

Anyone done this, have any advice, or been able to get a response from Catto on it?
I don't have one of these wood compost props (aka glue and sting) props. :D

However its no doubt damage tolerant to a point. If the nick is just in the finish coat than yes you can just fill it with west sys. JB weld might work but I would use a compatible epoxy and west sys is most likely the best. But having a qt or gal of the stuff to go bad to do tiny repair is a pain. Catto or some one should sell little repair kits. You want to be as "aerospace" quality as you can.

Now I have to say if you have a DING or dent or any crack or delimitation that is a whole other ball park. The forces and loads on a prop are nothing to be trifled with. If you have moderate damage it might mean sanding down the plies to the wood and scarfing in new plys with vacumn bag, etc..... It is something an advanced composte guy can do, but I am sure Catto can repair them. Filling in a ding or dent with some flox and epoxy might be OK and it might not? You just don't know what it did to the wood core. That is the worry.

Its minor

Now I have to say if you have a DING or dent or any crack or delimitation that is a whole other ball park. .......

The nick is minor. Sanding, if any, before the fix would only be to prepare the surface. There are no hints that it is structural at all.

I do believe that flying through some rain last weekend made it slightly worse. I think it gives rain a relatively flat surface to run into. I want to dress it before it gets worse.

And, before it get a barrage of RPM/rain comments, it was at low RPM because I was flying slow in moderate turbulence.