Kokemiller

Well Known Member
Don't want to start a panic but I have gotten word of Cubcrafters having issues with the nickel leading edge on their props from Catto. Has any one heard of an issue on his props for RV's?

I had the nickel leading edge installed on my prop this spring and looks and performs very well.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/pdfs/sc/sa0007.pdf

I have sent an email to Craig and will post his reply.

me too

I halso had the nickel leading edge just installed (2 flight hours ago....). It was done 10 days ago, Craig did not mention anything to me about potential issues. It looks very good and I also have a feeling it has increased the effective pitch a little (my static RPM is about 50 lower than before it was installed).
I'm interested in more info on this topic of course.

Thanks for the post Kelly. Will await Craig's response as I was the first UK customer to have the nickel leading edge and I hope be flying in spring of next year.

Regards

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk

Its all good! Here is his reply.

Hello Kelley,Yes, we had some issues with the first installed ones. Ended up it only affected about 8 propellers. We changed the installation epoxy system almost a year ago, and no issues with the new installs.Regards,Craig Catto

After a year and half of flying behind my Catto I couldn't be happier with quality, finish, performance, and service. Not saying they are the best but if there is something better it must be one heck of a prop!

My nickel leading edge had a small area of delam. I sent it back and Craig took care of it. I had an early version of the leading edge (Jan 11), Craig told me mine was a little late for the problem? Anyway, what I had was, what seemed to be a 1" area of uncured resin that oozed out from under the leading edge. Noticed it about a week after the initial installation and I cleaned it up a bit and kept an eye on it. Once I discovered the delam I sent it back. It was a 2 week turn around.

New and improved

Kelly,
I have probably the latest iteration of the NLE , my prop is only 2 weeks old. Since Craig asked me to fully test it, I gladly obliged. Continuous light to medium rain, 150-160 Knots with nary a scratch. Also extended operations on my turf/sand strip, again no worries after 10 hours. My previous MT FP had no issues for 4 years in the exact same conditions, a tough act to follow. Testing continues, but I see no potential issues...

Overall the new Catto 2 blade prop exceeds the previous three I have owned over the past 15 years being gorgeous, great performing and even tougher.

In a word, Craig Rocks!

Smokey

Good info guys thanks. I will upgrade to NLE next year. Briefly flown through rain during Phase One and paint chipped on tips.

BTW, the Cub props are MUCH longer than what we use on our RV's. Thus, they might have higher tip speeds, which may cause the problem with the NLE's.

I seem to recall Craig saying the props were in the 80+ inch range.

Just a thought.

Does anyone know it the NLE can be applied to an earlier non-NLE version?

Glenn- this depends on the age of the prop. I think Craig said he can only apply the upgrade on props with carbon fiber as part of the build up. My prop was built in 2008, and it is good for the upgrade. All I have to do is figure out how to send it back in, and come up with the cash.

Call Craig or send an email to see if you prop qualifies for the NLE

My prop was originally made without any leading edge protection. Flew through some light rain once and even with reduced RPM it took some paint off. Sent the prop in to have NLE installed and have been through moderate rain with no power reduction and the prop shows no wear at all.

I wouldn't buy a Catto without it. Hopefully they will stand the test of time.

One of the failed NLE props was on an O-360-powered Glastar on floats (belongs to a friend's father). I don't know how long the prop is but suspect it's in the 80" range. I do know it looked pretty darned sharp before it came apart.

When the leading edge came off at 11 hours TSN part of it imbedded itself into the top of the composite float. Vibration was "surprisingly little" after the NLE came off one blade but they knew something had happened as his son saw a flash as the NLE whipped through the air, so they beat a hasty retreat to the lake from which they had just taken off and landed without incident.

Craig treated this customer very well and the individual continues to run Catto props, albeit without nickel leading edges, on the Glastar (one for float work, a different one for winter ops on wheels).

BTW, the Cub props are MUCH longer than what we use on our RV's. Thus, they might have higher tip speeds, which may cause the problem with the NLE's.

I seem to recall Craig saying the props were in the 80+ inch range.

Just a thought.

The Cub Crafter's alert says that the props are 78" diameter.

When I returned from the "Badlands" fly-in, I found a crack in the NLE on my prop. My prop was 2003 vintage.
Craig took care of me immediately. He determined that the older glass props apparently "flex" too much for the NLE. The later Carbon props don't seem to have the problem.
I would like to re-iterate.... Craig took care of me immediately.

Three blade RV-8

I have just put on a three blade Catto with NLE. I love the prop could not be happier with the results.

Seattle to Portland in rain

Last Friday I flew from the Seattle area to the Portland area, 1 hour on the hobbs, in a steady rain with no visible wear on the prop. I've got about 65 hrs on the NLE's with no issues.

tune the prop

In Craigs email to me about putting the NLE on my prop he also said he would tune it. What tests should I run to give him sufficient data to tweak the prop, static rpm, high altitude WOT?

In Craigs email to me about putting the NLE on my prop he also said he would tune it. What tests should I run to give him sufficient data to tweak the prop, static rpm, high altitude WOT?

Typically what he wants is Static RPM at beginning of take-off roll, full throttle RPM during 115 kt climb, and full throttle RPM at 8,000 density altitude.