rjcthree

Well Known Member
Hi eveybody.

I've been influenced to relook at my prop selection. I was sold on a metal Sensenich, but some local chapter members have me looking back at wood again. When 200 years of combined flying exp tries to tell you something, I have to at least respect it!

Anyway, I've gone through most of the prop debates. That's not what I'm trying to do here.

What I need to know is when I ordered the finish kit, I ordered for the metal Sensenich. If I go to Catto or Prince or (fill in the blank) what needs to change, parts wise?

How is it that three blades looks so **** cool? :cool:

Rick 90432 - working canopy frame, loving every second of the pain :p

Check hub thickness

You need to look at (at least) two things.
1. bolt diameter - will probably be the same for the same engine
2. hub thickness

The Prince, for example, is a little thinner at the hub than the Catto. I am not familiar with the Sensi. You'd need appropriate spacers - refer to plans for final thickness to fit the forward bulkhead (a constant) into the Van's spinner which also stays the same. In my experience, the crush plate can go either side of the spacer(s) with the appropriate washers. When I fitted the Prince, I fitted a spacer aft of the bulkhead so that I didn't have to cut out the curves where the prop blades would intersect the flange of the bulkhead. Catto gives you, if you pay for it, a pre-drilled installation with both bulkheads and spinner. That works well.

Another thing that needs to change with the Catto is the time frame. He is usually way behind on orders, but his props are worth the wait, IMHO. Also consider that you may have to retorque more often and your CG will probably move back a bit. Empty weight should go down. I am very pleased with my Catto. Looks cool, runs quietly and smoothly and I doubt if I gave up anything, performance wise.

Bob Kelly

Catto ETA

I ordered a prop from Craig Feb 08 and he told me it would be ready in June. I talked to him last week on the phone and he told me it would be ready in Sept. He said my 3-blade was number ~ 35 on the backlog. Not a big deal since I am going slower on my build progress.

If you want a Catto 3-blade on would get on his waiting list. I believe he can deliver a 2-blade quicker since they are easier to construct.

I ordered a Catto in Feb/Mar of 2007. I received it in late Jan of 2008. I started pushing Craig for it in October.

I thought someone said he had added capacity this year.

On Props

Hi Rick,

I ordered a 3 blade prop from Craig in mid January, 2007 and it was shipped just last week. Am looking forward to trying it out. Craig was a one man show when the order was placed; but now he has a girl Friday in the office and two employees helping him. Says his production is one-a-day now. Suggest you place order as soon as possible.

Would add these thoughts, when it comes to propellers, don't be overly concerned about having "THE BEST" choice on your first attempt. Props are a relatively easy change. I have an Aymar-Demuth witha a Jerry Harrold spinner that I am very happy with. Just like those sexy looking Catto 3 blades and thought I'd try it. If I don't like it....I post it for sale here.

I had Sensenich metal prop I bought from a friend, it performed great but vibrated more than a wood prop, so I sold it to another friend with a RV-4. Had wonderful Werneke wood prop that a Marine fighter pilot turned into a feather duster by flying through a thunderstorm (what is it with those guys...:D) ....

Have a Sterba prop I don't care for; BUT IN FAIRNESS TO ED STERBA, I never spoke to him about the prop. I bought it from my secretary's cousins's baby sitter's uncle's father-in-law's gardner. It could have been made for an airboat for all I know. I have a pacesetter prop under a bed in case I prang the Aymar-Demuth.

A story...have a friend with an RV-4 who pranged his pacesetter prop in Rockport, Texas one day. I flew home and loaded the Sterba in my RV-4 and went back to the rescue. The Sterba didn't match correctly, so flew another mission, stuck the Sterba under the bed and drug out the Pacesetter and back to Rockport where we got him flying again. He used my prop until he could get a new Pacesetter. ( They are out of business I understand)

Point being, there are a lot of good prop makers out here. The main trick is talk to them about your engine etc so they can make a match for you. I met a Marine fighter trainee who had a RV-4 with a Prince P-Tip and he was very pleased with it.

Don't be scared to put a prop on your plane....unless it is just WAY out of all practicality for our type of aircraft. Talking common sense here:)

One can drive yourself crazy on making the correct decision for a particular purchase. A wonderful thing about the RV community is that it offers a large pool for us to swap equpment in.

Good luck and happy flying,

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (8T6)

Would someone light me a bit how well Catto will do in the rain? Should it be keep out from there? Read that some had used Propguard and had flown in rain successfully. Would we have more comments to this?

If propellers are done in order when they were ordered the difference between 2 and 3 blade version delivery time shouldn't vary, right? I wish to see more figures if anyone has tried both and more comments about the number of blades with Catto propellers...

Rain and delivery

Would someone light me a bit how well Catto will do in the rain? Should it be keep out from there? Read that some had used Propguard and had flown in rain successfully. Would we have more comments to this?

If propellers are done in order when they were ordered the difference between 2 and 3 blade version delivery time shouldn't vary, right? I wish to see more figures if anyone has tried both and more comments about the number of blades with Catto propellers...

Catto props do better in the sun, metal props do better in the rain :>). If you go into the rain, you will need to throttle back to 2200 or install the prop guard, else you will take the paint off of the leading edge. I have not found this to be an issue for my flying, as my plane still goes along pretty well at 2200RPM, and I rarely (almost never) fly in the rain.

Craig has picked up is delivery pace considerably, but that is recent and it will take him a while to chew through the backlog.

He can deliver a 2 blader in weeks as he does not do them in order.

Craig states that the two and three blade props perform the same, but the three is smoother, 2 blade is cheaper.

I expect this is true. My RV-6 with 3 blade delivers slightly better than Van's numbers.

If it is important to you, I would not try to prop start my 3 blader. I intent to keep my battery in very good condition!

If it is important to you, I would not try to prop start my 3 blader. I intent to keep my battery in very good condition!
After increasing compression from 7:1 to 9.5:1 on my engine, I hand propped it once. I said, "I'll not do that again." Now with the 3-blade, I won't even consider it.

After increasing compression from 7:1 to 9.5:1 on my engine, I hand propped it once. I said, "I'll not do that again." Now with the 3-blade, I won't even consider it.

I hand propped a light weight wood propeller on a Vari eze a while back. That next blade comes around quickly when the engine fires. That was a two blade prop. I can't imagine doing it with a three blade prop.

I hand propped my RV-6 with a two blade Catto Propeller a number of times when I was having electrical problems with the airplane. Not a problem.