sandifer

Well Known Member
Ken K had a great thread regarding comparison testing his new Catto vs. a Sensenich wood prop. But I've searched the archives and cannot find any data regarding comparison tests between the Catto and a FP metal prop. Lots of you seem to be running Cattos now, and I'm curious about any numbers or impressions you have between the two. I recently installed a 3-blade Catto on my 180hp Pitts S-1S. I know this is not RV-related, but I'm just curious what others' experience is moving to a Catto from a Sensenich. I'm well aware of the vastly different drag/speed profile of the RV compared to the Pitts. Based on the numbers I got, I'm wondering if it's even possible to match the efficiency of a metal blade with any wood core composite blade. I have been running a Sensenich 76x59 and replaced with a Catto 72x56 3-blade.

I flew both props back-to-back last weekend in an attempt to maximize the consistency of the Wx conditions. My main reason for buying the Catto was to get rid of most of the stress on my light crank flange when doing acro. I was not expecting additional performance, but was hoping not to lose any. Even if performance ends up very slightly less than the Sensenich, there's enough positive about the prop to keep it for my purposes. But as far as performance goes, the RV platform may be totally different, and the Catto pitch/diameter for the RV airframe may compare better than the results I saw for the Pitts.

Test runs were done with the same fuel load and from the same altitudes. I tested the Catto first. Density altitude at the start of the first test was 1,348' (247', 72 deg, 50 deg. dewpoint, 29.86"Hg) At the start of the Sensenich test, DA was 1,485' (73 deg. 52 deg. dewpoint, 29.85"Hg). Here are the numbers:

Rate of Climb @ 100mph IAS from 1000'-2000' MSL:
1,818 fpm @ 2,350 rpm (Catto)
1,935 fpm @ 2,525 rpm (Sensenich)

Level flight, full-throttle IAS (1000' MSL):
160 mph @ 2,850 rpm (Catto)
162 mph @ 3,000 rpm (Sensenich)

Cruise IAS @ 2500 rpm (1000' MSL):
139 mph @ 10.5 gph (Catto)
130 mph @ 9 gph (Sensenich)

Cruise IAS @ 9 gph full rich:
130 mph @ 2400 rpm (Catto)
130 mph @ 2500 rpm (Sensenich)

IAS @ 3,000 rpm, full-throttle (WOT):
180 mph (Catto)
162 mph (Sensenich)

Max altitude gain, 45 degree pitch up from level flight, WOT:
1,200' (Catto)
1,300' (Sensenich)

Max altitude gain, 4.5G pull to vertical from level flight, WOT:
900' (Catto)
1,020' (Sensenich)

I'm going to send the prop back to Craig for repitch to get the RPM up. Aside from the performance numbers, these are the positives to the prop, as expected simply due to the construction (laminated maple w/ CF and glass outer layups). The Catto is much smoother in flight through all RPM ranges than the Sensenich. Much less vibration, and no red arc. It weighs about 20 lbs. less than the Sensenich. There is no prop bark at 3,000 rpm (noise friendly). There is MUCH less gyroscopic/torque effect. Hammerheads require much less forward stick, and don't have a tendency to torque nearly as bad. Can fly over the top of a humpty much slower without uncontrollable torque rolling. Spins are much cleaner...no hesitations in the spin rate while under 2-turns, and the nose doesn't oscillate up and down before the spin fully develops. Snaps and spins seem to stop more quickly and crisply. Elevator stick force is lighter due to less gyroscopic resistance. Oh yeah, and it looks pretty cool. :)

Last edited:
You Hit the High Points

I went from a 2 blade wood to my 3 blade Catto. The wood prop was faster at the top end by a couple mph and some discussions on this site have suggested that was due to more drag on a 3 blade prop. I can't state for certain.

You can not beat Catto's 3 blade for smoothness, lightness and looks! (And Craig is a great guy to talk to about any problems - he knows his props!) One more thing I will add - if you ever nose over on landing, Catto 3 blade props add a measure of safety. I won't go into details, but I know from personal experience.

Ditto

ditto previous remarks.

I recently replaced a two-blade wood sensenich prop with a catto two-blade prop. It's smoother, a bit faster and looks better. I had to send the prop back to Craig for re-pitching and it came back perfect. It's now 2-3mph faster than the wood prop at slightly less rpm.

catto1.jpg

catto2.jpg

One more thing I will add - if you ever nose over on landing, Catto 3 blade props add a measure of safety. I won't go into details, but I know from personal experience.

If you make a statement saying one manufacturer's prop is SAFER than another, you gotta back it up with details.... ;)

Prop me up...

Eric,

"Way back in the 90's" I was running an original Sensenich Metal 2 blade on my 150HP RV4. I had switched from a Sterba wood prop after Jon Johansen did his first Earth Rounder RV4 trip with a Sensy on the nose.
I never liked the Sensy for several reasons. Flywheel effect during acro (as you mentioned) 2600 RPM limit, and a pesky harmonic vibration I never nailed down. I also lost several knots of speed at top end.

While testing the Sensy I met Craig Catto who at the time was making props for Long-EZ's and Reno racers. I asked about an RV 2 blade and he loaned me a prop to test. I removed the Sensy and installed a Catto 2 blade, the first ever on an RV. The results were striking. Immediately everything was smoother, takeoff and climb improved by 10-20%, aerobatics were improved with more "pull" in the vertical per RPM and I gained 5 knots top speed above my wood prop, nearly 10 over the Sensy.

One thing I found during all my testing is Craig's props come into their own above 2700 RPM. This is his Reno racing experience of matching a propeller to rated RPM on any given engine. My RVX is able to stay alongside much higher HP airplanes with Hartzell BA's as I can turn up more RPM flat out. My good friend Paul Lipps once told me I needed to be able to attain Rated RPM at full throttle @12,000 MSL. Craigs props do just that. Down low, they will exceed rated but any Reno racer will tell you the real performance comes between 2700 and 3000 RPM. Not practical for daily flying, but is nice to have. Remember, the Lycoming 0-290G GPU operating RPM was 2900 for a reason, power.

Based on inputs from many RVer's Craig has improved his design and blade airfoils to what I believe is the best overall value FP propeller out there. There are some great contenders (Hertzler, Performance, WW, Sensy ADJ-Comp) However comma, Craig's props simply have it all. My current RVX is flying one of Craig's first new 2 blades having replaced an MT FP.

Again, much improved.

V/R
Smokey

New Catto-2 on The RVX

Last edited: