flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,

Been searching around on here trying to get some info on these Catto 3 blade FP props I see people switching to. Looks like it may be a good cost effective upgrade from my Sensenich metal. I had thought about switching to CS, but not sure I feel like adding a new cable, moving the battery, spending the money, etc. I have been reading you gain a little performance with these Catto props. Also read that they are much quieter than the metal Sensenich, easier on the airframe, and just look fantastic.

I emailed Craig Catto and gather a little information from him, but just wanted to get some opinions from people who use this prop on their -8. Was also looking for pitch suggestions. Craig said alot of people put the 68x74 on their RVs, but with the -8 being a bit faster, you can run the 75. Said he also has a slightly modified version for faster -8s that runs a pitch range of 76-78, but I don't think I am in the faster -8 category. I was thinking mostly a cruise prop, I dont really do any super short field stuff, but I also dont want to totally sacrifice takeoff performance. I do a little aerobatics and dont usually cruise above 8k MSL.

What do you guys think? Thoughts, suggestions, experiences appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

I've been running Craig's 3-blade props since November of 2003. I love them.
Very quiet and smooth.
Wouldn't have anything else.
If you want more take-off performance, then go with a C/S. They are great.
But I've never seen an RV that really NEEDED the C/S prop.

I have a 66x78 three blade Catto on my -8. My engine is a IO-360-A3B6D.

I love the prop. I don't have any length issues (take off distance, that is ;) ) and I top out at about 190kts WOT. Economy cruise for me at 2000', 2200 RPM is about 150kts and 7.4 g/h.

I have a 66x78 three blade Catto on my -8. My engine is a IO-360-A3B6D.

I love the prop. I don't have any length issues (take off distance, that is ;) ) and I top out at about 190kts WOT. Economy cruise for me at 2000', 2200 RPM is about 150kts and 7.4 g/h.

Is that engine 180hp?

I've been running Craig's 3-blade props since November of 2003. I love them.
Very quiet and smooth.
Wouldn't have anything else.
If you want more take-off performance, then go with a C/S. They are great.
But I've never seen an RV that really NEEDED the C/S prop.

I would love a constant speed, but not sure if I feel like spending the money and doing the work.

Catto Props Just Work!

I've had a Catto prop on my -8 for a long time (I may have been the first -8 with a 3-blade Catto around 2002). I broke the first one - my fault, not Craig's. You learn by doing things like that. Wood core wrapped in composite is equivalent to a "wood" prop for prop strike purposes. The bottom line - no need to tear engine down after appropriate checks completed.

Six months ago I traded up for a "new" style Catto 3-blade with nickel leading edge and more cruise (I added 10 hp 4 years ago with hi-compression pistons). I also swapped out my spacer for a dual bolt Sabretech spacer. Beautiful prop and smooth as ever. I added about 5 kts. to my WOT performance.

The primary benefits to Catto props are weight and complexity - less of both. You also get speed. (Craig will give you more or less cruise if you ask and he's knows what he's doing...doing it for decades.) You also get durability (I understand Catto props are now carbon fiber over a wood core). I would get the nickle leading edge (I did....but added big $$) to protect against precipitation...minimum get the edge protection tape.

68 by 74

Is what I run on my 8A with a 0-360 up front. It is a great prop and for my setup, spins up faster than the sensenich that I used to have. It doesn't shake the aircraft on startup and **** down like the sense, is definitely smoother and looks great. I had Craig paint it to match my aircraft for no charge and have the nickel leading edge. It is a little harder to get the bottom cowl on and off but it is getting easier. Overall I am very happy with it.

Randy
8A

I can't give you a prop comparison Matt but on my Aerosport Power IO-360-M2S (180HP) I have a Catto 3 blade 68 x 76 and I am very pleased with it. Static RPM 2200 exactly as Craig said it would be.

As the guys say smooth and quiet and my economy cruise at 2000 feet is 2150 RPM 130 Kts and 5.8 US Gals/Hr (22 litres) with dual P-Mags. 150 Kts = 2400 RPM and 7.4 Gals/Hr (28 litres).

I find my 8 is generally landing distance limited so take off performance not an issue for me - prop weight and complexity/cost are though. Horses for courses.

Faster

Two blades is more efficient and therefor will be faster. Couple knots perhaps. According to Catto, although they are not quite as smooth as the three blade, still much noticeably smoother than metal prop. Climb performance is better with 3 blades, if that is a concern. I've heard the cowl is easier to remove with two blades... And best of all its almost a third less cost:). Catto makes two blade propellers for the Cubcrafters lineup. I like the three blades equally as much but two can also be considered.

Here's some photos of mine

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...2&project=2102&category=8567&log=163622&row=1

Craig told me they perform the same. The 3 blade balances out the power pulses on the o-360, 2 blade for the o-320 (or 3 blade for looks).

I have a Catto 3-blade with an IO-320 D2A ... the prop & engine combination are awesome. In colder OA temps, I see 2200fpm climbing at 85 to 90kias. At first I didn't believe it, but with 36+ hrs of flight testing now, those numbers are legit. I've only done a WOT test at 6000msl, seeing 161ktas (compared to the CAFE test result of the Vans demo 167ktas at 8000 density altitude). I'm elated with the performance of the engine/prop combo. :D

Forgot to mention ...

...installing the lower cowl on a A-model with a 3-blade can be a bit vexing. Basically, you must keep extending the slot for the nosegear leg until the installation becomes do-able by one person. The key was having the upper nosewheel fairing in hand, so I knew how long the cowl slot could be before it was exposed/visible outside the fairing.

I have over 700 hours on my catto 3-blade 66x76, XP-IO360
I'm very happy with the performance, operation & aesthetics. My usual flightplan enroute cruise is 168-170kts and run lop @ 8.7gph

I have over 700 hours on my catto 3-blade 66x76, XP-IO360
I'm very happy with the performance, operation & aesthetics. My usual flightplan enroute cruise is 168-170kts and run lop @ 8.7gph

Good to hear. Are you happy with the climb performance? Also, why did you go with 66 over 68?

I am interested in hearing from people who are running 74 or 75 pitches on their -8s

100 hrs on a Catto 3 bl., downgraded my O-360-A1A for FP, smooth, overall performance, cost. For me it's perfect.

That's mine :

Catto 3-Bladed Wood/Glass Composite.
Propeller for RV
66" Diameter x 76" Pitch
0-360 180HP@2700RPM
Top Speed at Target RPM-215mph@2800rpm
4.375" Finished Propeller
7" Diameter Prop Flange
SAE-2 Pattern, 1/2" Bolts and 3/4" Lugs
Color Grey with White Tips Crescent

New Style Catto Three Blade 68"x 74" Metal LE

On 12/23/12 I installed my New style Catto Three Blade 68' x 74" Metal leading edge propeller on my RV-8 Lyc IO-360 180 HP .
New Slick Mags / plugs . Full Fuel and 230 lb. pilot

Temp 37deg. F. and 29.96 Baro. Field Elevation 1250' MSL
STATIC / RPM = 2110 TO 2120

WOT @ 2770 RPM / 6500 MSL = 197 mph IAS , and my
Dynon 100 said 211 mph True Airspeed.

It climbs best at 120 mph IAS @ 1700' per. min. approx. Not really exact numbers but about what I see when I go out sport flying .

It is very noticable and suffers when I carry a 200 lb passenger on Take off roll and inital climb out , but after you get up to 120 ias it starts to feel better .

Not great off the deck , like a Hartzell but still the BEST BANG for the Buck !

Good to hear. Are you happy with the climb performance? Also, why did you go with 66 over 68?

I am interested in hearing from people who are running 74 or 75 pitches on their -8s

66" diameter is standard for the 3-blade, 68 for 2-blade.
Solo climb is typical for me to see 2200-2300 fpm once I pull at 120mph.

August 2012 Catto Design Specs

My new 3 blade is 68" diameter by 74" pitch. Design rpm is 2750 with a red line of 3400. You should torque your bolts to 42 lbs. using a 7 inch crush plate. I addition to length changes, Craig has also changed the blade shape over the past several years.

My new 3 blade is 68" diameter by 74" pitch. Design rpm is 2750 with a red line of 3400. You should torque your bolts to 42 lbs. using a 7 inch crush plate. I addition to length changes, Craig has also changed the blade shape over the past several years.

My email from Craig said most RVers are using the 68x74 now, with alot of people going 75 on the -8 since its a bit faster. What would suffer if going from 74 to 75? Climb performance?

Are you talking prop redline or engine redline??

What would suffer if going from 74 to 75? Climb performance?

Are you talking prop redline or engine redline??

I do not know the speed vs. climb issue of going to a prop with more pitch, but I assume it is more climb. My request to Craig was for more cruise speed and I am pleased with what I have gotten.

Your engine manufacturers rpm red line remains the same. (I believe Craig deals with many racers and they are always pushing their engines, so he puts a "prop" redline on the label. I rarely go over 2700 rpm on my engine.)

Same

I have a 3 blade On my RV7 and am very satisfied as the other posts. 194 mph top and cruise at 180 on just a bit less than 8 gph. Light weight does move the CG aft, and I went with a 14 lb spacer to get it forward. Want to get the leading edge protection when I get rich and famous. As you know, it is a bit tough to get the lower cowl off and on, but the looks and smoothness make it worth it.

I have a 3 blade On my RV7 and am very satisfied as the other posts. 194 mph top and cruise at 180 on just a bit less than 8 gph. Light weight does move the CG aft, and I went with a 14 lb spacer to get it forward. Want to get the leading edge protection when I get rich and famous. As you know, it is a bit tough to get the lower cowl off and on, but the looks and smoothness make it worth it.

What spacer do you use?