jbagley

Well Known Member
Decisions decisions... Hoping some of you can weigh in and help me decide. I'm currently flying with a wood 2-bladed sensenich and reasonably happy with the performance. But, faster is better and it rains a lot here in Oregon so I have some concern over how the wood prop will hold up over time.

3-blade catto:
+ more ground clearance
+ looks better
+ smoother (subjective)
- more expensive
- harder to remove cowling

2-blade catto:
+ faster?
+ lighter
+ cheaper
- less ground clearance
- more vibration?

Or is the 2-blade versus 3-blade question one of those never ending debates?

I have (2) three blades and (1) two blade I fly with. Three blade IS smoother hands down. Two blade will climb better hands down. If you do the cut out mod/trim to the cowl as in the past RVAtor, the cowl on/off issue goes away for the three blade. And yes, the three blade looks awesome on the plane! :D

Ground clearance with either is not an issue. And as to cost... well in AMU's they're both cheap. :)

Got a link for that? I'm not aware of that mod and find getting the lower cowl on/off to be a PITA.

Thanks,

4th issue 2007 page 15, written by Scott McDaniels, head of Van's Prototype Shop... :)

I believe there's another example relating to this issue maybe it was a 2005 issue, I'll dig around a little more.

Last edited:
another request for copy of the mod

Last oil change was the first with the 3 blade catto installed, needed two of us to install the lower cowl. Very interested in a mod that will make it easier.

I've heard that a 3 blade is better for a 4-cylinder engine because the beats are offset so it feels smoother and is quieter than a 2-blade+4-cylinder that share the same cycle. YMMV.

One more thing to add to your lists of pros and cons for each

It used to be that it took a LOT (read months and months) longer for a 3-blade than a 2-blade. Not sure if that's still true, but you might want to check with Craig if that would be a factor in your decision. It only took 2-3 months for my 2-blade.

I've got a Catto 3 blade on my Pitts S1S (I know, I know... it's not an RV) with a high compression IO-360. I Can't testify to the smoothness change because it's all I've had but the prop looks great and performs really well.

I had it pitched for 3000RPM at 175 kts and it's on the money.

Nickel leading edges look awesome too.

I had mine in 10 weeks to Australia from when I ordered it, although I was grounded so Craig put me up the front of the list somewhere.

Sounds great too

I've got a Catto three blade prop on my -8 and I absolutely love it. Smooth as silk.
I get a lot of comments from other RV owners about how sexy it looks too. One unexpected benefit though,is the way it sounds. While I've not heard it myself, everyone tells me that it sounds like a Reno racer. Craig Catto is a neat guy and a great person to work with.
Steve

One, Two Three, Four?

James,

I get to fly alot of RV prop/engine combinations and compare performance and have tested 9 different props on my RV-4 and RV6X. Alot depends on your budget and the type flying you enjoy.
0-320 the 2 blade Catto, MT and Hertzler provide slightly less climb but are faster in cruise than the three blade Catto and PP. Only Margie Warnke's Three blade Claw is faster than 2 but she is retired. The 3 blade Catto has and still is an absolute work of art and is a bit smoother. However comma, the new Catto 2 blade I am currently testing on my 0-320 is turbine smooth. See previous thread.

0-360: The Catto three blade excels on the 0-360 with excellent performance across the board. If you have lots of $$$ the Hartzell BA C/S is a phenomenal combination on the 0-360. Craigs three blade however will match it in cruise and efficiency above 8000'.

IO-540 The Harmon Rocket excels with the Hartzell HCY "Paddle" (mine had the "D" twist) two blade. The "J" twist blades are optimized at 2300 RPM, the D 2500. Several Rocket guys using the WW three blade report excellent performance. The MT three blade is slightly slower but excellent climb and smoothness. The RV-10 prop of choice is the Hartzell BA two blade in my humble opinion. Tom Martin has a derivative on his F-1 reporting impressive numbers as well.

A long answer to a short question...:)
Smokey

Last edited:
Thanks all!

Thanks for the great replies!

I think i'm pretty sold on the 2-bladed prop because it's cheaper and faster. I'll have to ask Craig if the standard 2-blade he's making now is the same as the one Smokey is testing.

Better acceleration and climb performance is fun. But in reality I don't feel that is a limiting factor for me; as in, either prop will get me into and out of the shortest runways I would consider landing on. I'll trade climb performance for cruise performance every time.

Cheers!

Been @ the ranch and out of internet touch... send me an email with your email address if you would like a copy of the article. :)

article on cutting cowl for 3 blade prop

LifeofReiley ,

Do you mind sending me a copy of that article too? I should be getting in my 3 blade Catto prop next week and will be able to start the cowl trimming soon!

Thanks,
Paul

Decisions decisions... Hoping some of you can weigh in and help me decide. I'm currently flying with a wood 2-bladed sensenich and reasonably happy with the performance. But, faster is better and it rains a lot here in Oregon so I have some concern over how the wood prop will hold up over time.

3-blade catto:
+ more ground clearance
+ looks better
+ smoother (subjective)
- more expensive

2-blade catto:
+ faster?
+ lighter
+ cheaper
- less ground clearance
- more vibration?

Hello

I am a lancair driver but guess my input is welcome.
I put a 3 blade catto on my lancair 235/320. Loved the prop for smoothness, beautiful, climb much better than my prior 2 blade wood prop, cruise better than my prior wood prop too. I was led to believe from what I read on the catto prop website that I could run it in the rain. The leading edge tape would protect it at WOT in the rain WHERE YOU COULD KEEP THE TAPE ON THE LEADING EDGE. I could not get the tape to adhere to the tip though. I would upload an image of the damage I sustained to mine after just 1 flight but cannot seem to get the upload image button to work. Unfortunately if you are planning on running in the rain, I would look for a prop which has metal leading edge. I now run a MT prop with metal leading edge because the catto just would not hold up to the flying in the rain. I understand craig recently added a leading edge nickel. With the nickel I would say he would have one of the best props out there for planes such as ours. Without the nickel, I would not buy another catto prop unless I intended to use it solely in dry air.

Last edited:
Rain, rain go away...

JB/LOR,

My original Catto 2 blade was subjected to many threats over 10 years including grass, gravel, mud, sandy strips and lots of rain. I found out after flying through rain at 2400 RPM that the prop chipped easily and paint was removed. I called Craig and as always was very helpful.

I experimented with "prop guard" tape back then and it did work with the exception noted above but I lost about 1% performance. I experimented and found the TEAM propeller tape to be even better than PG at half the cost.

My current newly designed 2 blade nickel LE Catto is a wonderful prop and performs exceedingly well. However, I have already chipped the inboard leading edge (where the nickel ends) in light rain. My previous MT has a black rubber tape strip there for protection. Craig might take a note from the Whirlwind adjustable design and make his nickel leading edge full length. http://www.whirlwindpropellers.com/ga/product_lycoming.html

Overall, the Catto 2 blade is an excellent prop value and far exceeds anything else out there for the price.

Smokey

Last edited:
Ray

You should have no problem getting the propguard or other tape of your choice to adhere that far inbound. My MTV prop does have the black rubberish moulding you described inboard of the metal leading edge. Back when I was running the catto prop I too experimented with various tapes and ended up using a black 3M tape bought from aircraft spruce. I don't remember the exact number but I believe it was 8672. While it would not hold outboard, it did very well inboard of the nickel where you would need it.

2 or 3 blade Catto,

3-blade catto:
+ more ground clearance
+ looks better
+ smoother (subjective)
- more expensive

2-blade catto:
+ faster?
+ lighter
+ cheaper
- less ground clearance
- more vibration?

2 blade or 3 blade, that is the question. I have had a 2 blade Catto on my RV-6 for seven years/900+ hours and I love it for exactly the positive reasons you cite. Would not consider trading for a three blade prop, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I really don't like the look of the 3 blade with the o-320. I don't know which engine you have but the blade thickness is rather slender with the 3 blade on the 320.. I think my 2 blade is awesome. I have no regrets and would do the same again.