Tbone

Well Known Member
I'm planning to install a RAMI AV12 on top of the vert. I am using this for VOR and G/S. It says in the installation paper that I must use their "integral balun transformer" which I don't have. Is this something that I can roll my own or best to buy direct?

The antenna should already contain the "hockey puck" ballun transformer. It is the connection screws that are not included.

Just remember that "cat whiskers" on the top of the vertical stab on a tailwheel RV are actually referred to as "eye pokers"...actually, quite dangerous in a dark hangar, or when distractedly talking with others and showing your plane at a fly-in....

It's confusing if they used the word "integral", which usually means "built in".

BTW, there is an error in the old posts. 26" is a good number for a quarter wavelength at 112 MHz IN AIR. Signals in ideal coax travel at the speed of light, but in coax with real dielectrics it is slower - 0.7c is a good number for RG-58 and RG-400. So a quarter wave of that coax is about 18".

So if I follow Nuckolls way just use 18" and should it be as close to antenna as possible or just inline someplace ?