airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I'm talking about the one that adapts to a vertical spin-on, with filter opening downward. How do you drain this filter when changing oil? Does it drain on each shutdown (requiring refill on startup, no oil pressure for the first few seconds) or something else? I've heard reference to punching a hole in it with a pin to let air in and allow it to drain before changing the filter - what's the procedure here?

When ready for oil change, fly the airplane to get the oil warm, land, take cowl off and punch hole in top of oil filter and open quick drain. Let it drain overnight. There should be very little oil remaining in the filter when you remove it.

Casper Labs 90 degree oil filter adapter

As far as does it drain the oil after shut down, don't punch a hole in the top and don't give it time to drain, then twist it off the adapter. You will quickly answer your question, does it drain itself at each engine shut down. Dan

Does it drain?

Nope. I punch a hole in the top and another on the rim as near the base as possible. Put a half a oil bottle under it to catch the stream and spin it off after the drip stops. 5 minutes or so if the oil is warm. Put lots of rags under it as there will still some in there. Have never had patience to wait overnight.

Do's and Don'ts

From automotive shop experience,Never leave an engine without oil unattended. Never under estimate human nature(I think I said that in a politically correct )it's bad Karma.