Tom May

:)Hi all, has anyone used a Casper Labs 90 deg oil filter on a RV4 with an O-320? If so, what spacer did you use? There has been a lot of discussion on the filter in the past but I don?t remember if the question was ever answered. Van?s has no recommendations in the catalog and I don?t wont to get into sending parts back and forth to make it work.
Thanks

I bought one for an O320 B2B. I don't think it is going to fit. Looks like the engine mount will keep the filter from screwing into the assembly. I got the 1.5 inch spacer. When ever I get to that point, I will let you know if it works or not.

Adapter

:)Hi all, has anyone used a Casper Labs 90 deg oil filter on a RV4 with an O-320? If so, what spacer did you use? There has been a lot of discussion on the filter in the past but I don?t remember if the question was ever answered. Van?s has no recommendations in the catalog and I don?t wont to get into sending parts back and forth to make it work.
Thanks
Tom,
Call Casper Labs. I talked to him(forgot the owner's name) and told him about my unique situation with an 0-290D, oil lines NOT like any new standard Lyco accessory case. Casper Labs told me Exactly what I needed. Fit like a dream first time. They also explained that I could not use a Vernatherm since the 290D uses the old style oil plunger(that saved me a bundle of $) but sent me an adapter to put in it's place so I could use an oil sensor. Great guy and very helpful.
Mike H 9A/8A

Just purchased one last week for my RV-4

I just received one last week from Vans. My engine is a stock Lycoming O320-D1A. I purchased only the 90 degree filter mount and no spacer. Using a small ruler I can see the recommended 1.5 inch spacer will not work if using the Vans recommended Champion filter #CH48108-1. The oil filter is too wide. I don't think a 2 inch spacer would work either. I haven't read the multi page instructions yet, or called Vans. If the diameter of the filter was smaller it would be a nice set-up.

I'm curious to hear from any 4 owners that are using this beautifully machined oil filter mount from Casper. Are there smaller FAA-PMA filters that can be used?

Wait a minute

I just went to Vans web catalog and learned there is a 2.5 inch spacer available. Quick visit to the shop; it appears the oil filter could be removed if the 90 degree unit was placed 2.5 inches back. There would still be plenty of room behind it for an Odyssey battery on the firewall . Tomorrow I will screw in some long bolts in the mounting holes and determine more precisely. I'll report back tomorrow night.

Again, it would be good to hear from a 4 owner that has already been through this.

Casper Labs adapter

I had the same problem with a Casper Labs 90 degree adapter for my 0320 RV-4. I tried various spacers and I did not find a suitable solution. After a while I just gave up and purchased a Lycoming straight filter adapter which worked just fine. There is plenty of room between the engine casing and firewall on mine. I now have a unused adapter and 1.5 inch spacer sitting in my hanger!

2.5 inch spacer works fine

The photo shows some 3" hardware store bolts used to simulate a 2.5" spacer. There is plenty of room to remove the filter and for the engine to shake without the filter hitting the mount. Not a tight fit at all. The Casper Labs instructions say the filter must be ? inch from anything to allow for engine shake. There is also plenty of room for an Odyssey battery or something else behind it on the firewall.

A search discovered this topic to be one of those recurring threads. If you do a search you will find many posts. I learned that Mattituck sells an FAA/PMA version for much less than the experimental Casper unit from Vans. I am considering using this set-up on my RV-4 to facilitate mounting the Odyssey behind it on the left side of the firewall. Still contemplating?

Tilts wrong way for me

I got one with a 1.5" spacer. Would work wonderfully on my 0-320 E2A if I didn't have the oil cooler in the way.:( If tilted to other side, would work fine.

Looks to be a beautifully machined piece. I'm going to contact them and see if they will machine it to different angle. Anyone know if they do that??

Cheers