MS19087

Well Known Member
Friend
I posted another thread earlier that discussed my ELT activation while inflight. See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=819108#post819108

This type of incident (IMHO) strengthens the argument for an on-board tracker. However, it also begs for a 2-way communication channel. I understand that SPOT has this capability. Surely APRS must also - i have not seen it on any airborne set-ups. An opportunity i think? Anyone (Sam) have any insight into how this could be possible? Obviously need an APRS I/O devise when messages could be sent and received. Bluetooth to an smartphone?

Just throwing this out there . . .

I'm no expert, I'm guessing others with more knowledge will chime in.

Kenwood (and I'm sure others) make a handheld 2m radio with a built in gps. I believe the model number it TH-D72 You could use this for both voice communication and APRS. I considered this for a while, but decided I didn't want another thing to mess with in the cockpit. My MicroTrack RTG is on any time the Nav lights are.

I switched to APRS from SPOT because I found the SPOTs interface to be too much trouble to get out the information I wanted. I had both the SPOT 1 and the bluetooth version at various times.

Good luck!
Guy

I use APRS and really enjoy it. That said - as a tracker - is it not designed for emergency scenarios. When you get on the ground, APRS requires access to digipeats and igates.

For emergency communications for SAR my first choice would be a PLB or EPIRB. Next would me a handheld radio. A SPOT with messaging is another choice.

I have a Kenwood TH-D72A but I don't fly with it. For it to be useful, I'd need to have a useful interface (9KEY is not much fun) and someone would need to be listening to reply.