24Golf

Well Known Member
We are about half way through painting the 9A with Sherwin-Williams JET GLO paint and have had pretty good success for a painting newbie. My questions are about how to take care of it going forward...

What are you JET GLO guys doing to maintain and clean?

Using wax or polish and how long after the application of paint?

Do you use a buffer or hand work only?

Bugs / belly oil / general washing products / brand names...

Any info would help - THANKS!

About 4 years on my Jet Glo finish, and all I use is Wash-Wax-All for clean-up on th etop side, and every few months I use some Coleman fuel to get the oil off the belly. Still looks pretty darn good!

There are lots of products out there, of course, and I setled on the first thing that worked and was economical.

Paul

About 4 years on my Jet Glo finish, and all I use is Wash-Wax-All for clean-up on th etop side, and every few months I use some Coleman fuel to get the oil off the belly. Still looks pretty darn good!

Same here (except I use WD-40 to clean the belly)

My JetGlo finish is 17 years old and still looks good. I use Goo-Gone for oil removal on the belly and plain water every else. Wash the airplane maybe once a year with mild liquid soap.

Same as Paul...

There are lots of products out there, of course, and I setled on the first thing that worked and was economical.

Paul

...but I use the Wash-n-Waxall Heavy Duty (red label bottle) on the belly oil.

Smells better when it drips on you than the other solvents mentioned...:)

My 5 year old PPG finish has never been waxed, and still looks like new, but the plane is hangared...

I see a pattern here...

My 5 year old Jet Glo paint looks great with only debugging and an occasional water wash. I use Extreme Simple Green Aircraft Cleaner for the belly. Seems we all agree on the top side and each have a different product for the oily side. :)

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thanks...

Sounds like nobody really buffs or waxes JET GLO. I'm fine with that, just had a few minor dust nibs in places that I thought we might could rub out, but I don't want to mess up the gloss that's there.

Yeah, people wax the heck out of it. Lotsa twins in J-Glow get clayed, waxed, whatever. It is nearly bulletproof, after all. When replacing deice boots we soak the leading edges with MEK and towels to loosen the 1300L. Try that with Rust-oleum.

My paint's 5 years old (Acry Glo by Sherwin Williams). Never waxed. I spoke to Sherwin Williams when the plane was being painted and they suggested a mild detergent and water, no wax. Seems to be good advice, so far.

Chris

I tried it once and won't use it again. Tends to leave a cloudy finish and I found that it likes to embed itself in any scratch or irregularity on the surface. I spent more time trying to get the Rejex off than the bugs. That's my experience.

Chris

I use Rejex on the leading edge and spinner, and like the results. I ususally just get a little water on it, and the bugs come off readily.

4 years on the Jet Glo, and looks like new, no special stuff at all