Brian Vickers

Well Known Member
I need to have an O-320 Stromberg carb rebuilt and yellow tagged. Does anyone have an idea of how much the cost range is and where to go for the service? My carb is in OK shape but it has been inactive for 12 years. A new unit is about $800.

Sincerely, Brian Vickers
RV4 - finishing

I was in the same spot a year ago with my Marvel Schebler MA4-5 carb; a local A&P referred me to El Reno Aviation in OK, said they did good work on carbs. So I called 'em up and we talked overhaul price; the initial quote was around 5-600 bucks with yellow tags and all that. Then I mentioned it was going on an RV... "ohh, that's different" says he. Yellow tags/paperwork? Don't necessarily need all that, which brings the cost down a bit. So I sent him the carb directly and he went thru it; new float, screws, gaskets, bushings, etc. Looks like new, no yellow tags, had it back in 2 weeks... cost $343. I have a whopping 4 hrs run time on it so far, and knock on wood, it's running fine.

I think this is a side gig for him, not done thru El Reno... if you want contact info, PM me. Not sure if a Stromberg carb would change things, but might be worth an email or phone call.

JB

Last edited:
Go to the manufacture? may be

BE CAREFUL who you send it to, no disrespect to any independant shop, which may be fine.

The deluxe suggestion is send it to precision airmotive in Everett WA, the PMA of the carb.

The other major repair PMA company is Kelly Aerospace, and they do overhauls. Many shops just send it out to them or Precision.

Most shops just send the carb out and exchange direct with Precision or Kelly.

One dealer is http://www.aviall.com/cgi-bin/index.jsp.

Here is a cool article.

http://www.kellyaerospace.com/articles/Accessory_AMT.pdf

There is nothing wrong with independant shops but make sure they really know what they are doing. These carbs are so simple, its not like they are hard to rebuild, but there is some attention to detail. Also ask what parts they are using. There a several kinds of floats and venturi out there. Not all are the same. They may be "good" but there have been some improvements to parts or some replacement parts have had issues, which have been corrected. The old design still is on the self I recall. I would has the manufacture. It's free and cost nothing, consider a call Precision Air motive and ask their advice and things to ask or watch out for. Of course Precision will tell you not to use Kelly parts. Not sure which are better. I know precision is about to release a new fiber float, that's better than better? You may know the old fiber floats where replaced with metal ones. Now the metal ones have problems? Than there was the one piece venturi. Well guess what the old two piece was really not so bad. Just make sure you know what you are getting and the options are.

Kelly or Precision do charge a premium and it may save a few $100 with an independant shop. However I would be suspicious if some one says they will overhaul your carb of $400. The parts are not cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I really do need a carb so I have continued looking around.

Precision Airmotive, LLC is considered an OEM remanufacture. They work only through a few distributors. The cost is $1,241.65 and assumes a core.

A.E.R.O. (http://www.aeroinstock.com) represents Avstar. They essentially do the same thing as Precision. The cost is $592.20, assuming core turned in with order.

The carb I have was discontinued long ago but both companies above said they would accept it as a core. Both companies also said it is probably not the original carb that came with my engine.

Over the last few months I have seen "new - old stock" Marvel carbs sell on Ebay for $400 to $500.

I am leaning toward the Avstar carb. I don't want to worry about it while flying and I have gone through a lot of effort to do my overhaul by the book. Everything on my engine rebuild looks so good I hate to use it.

Thanks again, Sincerely, Brian Vickers

DIY

We had a fuel leak when we started our M/S equipped O-320. The local A&P suggested a new needle, seat and float. Together, we rebuilt the carb. Total cost, about $150. If your float is good (ours didn't really need changing,) it would be around $75. A couple of weeks later I needed to rebuild an M/S on a tractor; they are so similar it isn't funny. Of course the cost was MUCH less! If your carb is basically in good shape (doesn't need bushings,) I would consider doing it myself. It depends on what you are comfortable with, but it certainly isn't rocket science!

Bob Kelly