Tomas J

I need to find the right carburetor for my Lycoming O-320-E2D that is converted to 160 hp with high compression pistons. If anyone can give me assistance I would be very grateful.

My E2D has a MA4-SPA carb. I havent changed the compression from stock but I believe the same carb would apply.

MA4-SPA is what I have on my E3D engine from a Piper Cherokee 140. I bet someone will will have the exact combination your asking about though. Ask Mel.

Thanks for the inputs.
Yes, it shall be the MA-4SPA, but it is available in different versions, including a different nozzle - 10-5009 and 10-5217. There is also a 10-3678-32. Does anyone know the difference between them? It's seems logical to use a bigger nozzle for the converted engine - is that the fact with -32?

The 10-5217 includes an atomizer on the nozzle. It sure works great in our RV-4 with 160 hp. We can run lean of peak with it while we could not with the previous carb.

carb

The atomizer nozzle can be added to at least some of the different pn carbs. the 5009 with the atomizer nozzle becomes 5009N

What I have find out to now it that I can use 10-5217 or 10-3678-32. I have got indication that the 10-3678-32 would lean the mixture somewhat at partial throttle, might leading to less fuel consumption. Is there anyone having an idea about or experience of this.

Drill the main jet to 0.101" or 0.104" to ensure you have sufficient fuel flow for proper cooling at full power. I don't know what part number that jet is. I started with an O-320-E2D from a C-172 with an MA4-SPA, had the engine rebuilt to 160hp and had to go 0.101" to get the CHTs to even a sensible number. Cowling louvres have also greatly helped.

Pete