flyerfly

Hi folks,

I need to rivet a large aluminum hinge to a carbon fiber beam and I was wondering who out there might know where to get good fasteners that address the corrosion issues between those materials. There will be many rivets as this hinge will take 22,000 lb :eek: (hinge does not move, just a pin joint). I was thinking monel rivets with a glass ply between the aluminum and carbon but what about sleaves etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated...this is not for airplanes but it is for military so I don't want to kludge it. I am sure someone out there has a "system" for doing this sort of thing.

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Have a look at Titanium Hilok fasteners http://www.hi-shear.com/fastener_hl_stds.htm. Graphite needs a class 1 hole to get the best bearing strength. Much tighter tolerance hole than what is needed for aluminum rivets.

A thin ply of style 120 glass (~1 oz/yd^2) or heavier is plenty for galvanic isolation between the Al and Carbon

Don't use expanding shank rivets. It will delaminate the carbon.

alternative

flyerfly said:
Hi folks,

I need to rivet a large aluminum hinge to a carbon fiber beam and I was wondering who out there might know where to get good fasteners that address the corrosion issues between those materials. There will be many rivets as this hinge will take 22,000 lb :eek: (hinge does not move, just a pin joint). I was thinking monel rivets with a glass ply between the aluminum and carbon but what about sleaves etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated...this is not for airplanes but it is for military so I don't want to kludge it. I am sure someone out there has a "system" for doing this sort of thing.

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Ya might consider replacing the aluminum hinge with a carbon one. Depending on what it does and what it's size is... http://www.carbinge.com/index.html

Thanks for this link, much appreciated. I like the idea of these Hi-Lok's. I already of a then ply of glass on the surfaces for galvanic isolation so that is fine. I was thinking of bonding a glass or phenolic sleave in the holes but am not sure if this will really be needed with the Hi-Loks. I was thinking of the sleave if I used an expanding rivet to prevent the delamination you mentioned....which I was a aware of.

Thanks again.

Jon