papamike

Well Known Member
I remember seeing a website where the builder described in detail how he built a carbon-fiber panel for an RV, but I can't find it anymore. The site had pictures of everything including the plywood forms and the bagging process. Anybody have any idea where I can find this site? I need to get better at saving sites where I find items of interest.

Thanks

CF panel

The easiest way is to use a piece of glass, lay up 2 layers of Carbon fiber cloth on it using lots of resin and working out ALL the bubbles. The glass surface will be the face of the panel. This is also handy as you can flip it over and see the bubbles if there are any. Let it set up a bit and place a couple layers of E-glass on the CF to add strength. Add whatever you need to built to your needs, Do you want the panel to be "The Panel" in which case you will need some extra thickness, and strength, or just use it to cover the metal panel underneath in which case it can be relativly thin??? When it has cured, simply peel it off the glass carfully. You should have a very smooth surface!!! However I usually sand it with 1000, 1500, and then add several layers of Clear. If you let them dry, resand with 1500 and repeat until you have the desired appearence. For the best result sand with 2500 and buff to a glass smooth surface. This will also protect the epoxy from UV rays which break down the resin. Cut out your holes for instruments etc.. just like you would a metal panel.

Carbon

I have a carbon fiber panel. It is an overlay of the stock panel. It is two layers of 8 oz glass cloth then two layers of carbon at a 45 degree angle. The lay up was vacuum bagged. The blank was fastened to the stock panel then cut to shape.

It looks great.

Or do it the easy way. www.dragonplate.com has carbon fiber sheets with 3M adhesive. This is real carbon fiber and it looks great. It will bend around a small radius with a heat gun. I'm a compyter zero or I would post the pictures of mine. Don

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm not there yet, but I wanted to save that information for when I do need it. I also just got out of a composite class at work and it's been on the brain all week.

A few tips

Here is the technique I used to skin my neighbors aluminum panel:

1) Lightly sand, then acid etch the aluminum parts to ensure a good bond.

2) Spray your parts with a thin coat of black epoxy primer or gel coat. This will prevent any aluminum from showing through the cloths weave. Alternative: Use two layers of carbon fiber cloth... but this is more expensive.

3) After the gel coat is tacky to the touch, lay your carbon fiber cloth into position. It should wrap around corners and stick to the tacky surface.

4) Impregnate the cloth with resin, working all the air bubbles out. A hair dryer is sometimes useful for chasing air bubbles out.

5) After the first layer of resin is tacky, gently brush on another thick layer. Repeat this several times, building up a very thick layer of resin.

6) After a complete cure, block sand your parts smooth. You need to sand enough to level the surface and not enough to reach the carbon cloth.

7) Wet sand up to 1,000 grit, then polish.

This was a plain weave cloth, but I personally prefer the look of a twill weave. I believe I used MGS 335 resin.

Carbon%20Panel

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/SBaircraft/Carbon Panel/?action=view&current=IMG_5451b.jpg