N624EJ

I am doing an avionics upgrade on my plane and would like to use some carbon fiber for accents on my panel. A lot of you guys have very sharp panels, and was just curious who is a good supplier or resource for carbon fiber sheets.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks

3M carbon fiber has texture. It's not the shiny clear coat look. I did carbon on the inside of the skirt and side panels. I contrasted that with 3M "brushed steel" on the instrument panel. (also with real texture). If you are looking for interior carbon to over-lay on the existing panels or covers send me a PM or email. Let me know the total sq ft you'll need and I can help.

Side note: 3M uses invisible "air-release" which help prevent bubbles. 3M uses control-tec which allows you to place and replace the vinyl. Only after your satisfied with the "lay", then you apply squeegee pressure activating the adhesive.

a6a912eb.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:
I was considering doing a CF panel, mostly for the look, but then I was concerned about refelection and its glare. I am glad I didn't but this is in no way an attempt to discourage you only give you my feed back.

Regards

I used 3M's DINOC CA-420 "Graphite" vinyl for my RV-12 panel (still under construction). Good stuff to work with -- some hair-dryer heat helps smoothing around the edges. Got my material from "www.metrorestyling.com". They have many different shades/textures ("pink brushed aluminum" anyone?).

Be sure to account for the thickness of the vinyl wrapped around the aluminum. Van's high-precision fit of the RV-12 aluminum panels makes things a bit tight unless you shave off a bit of the aluminum around the abutting edges. I have no idea how this material will hold up after years in the sun, but it is used for car exterior surfaces.

I also used about three of their little glue tubes to provide additional glueiness (new technical term) on some edges and opennings.

I love the look of a nice glossy smooth piece of carbon fiber. But its use does warrant some caution in the area of corrosion protection. Aluminum and carbon fiber really don't like each other, and in the big certified airplane world, a thin layer of fiberglass separates the CFRP parts from aluminum ones. Well, that and a lot of proseal.

How quickly will corrosion happen in an RV? Dunno. Maybe someone smarter than me can answer that. It may be so slow as to be inconsequential.

Last edited:
We paint ours with a matte clear finish to solve glare issues. Their about 3/32 thick and have a 90 degree angle like the kit panels.

1233200093.jpg

1324240230.jpg

carbon overlays? have Chris make you something @ Bonehead Composites

Overlaying aluminum with carbon adds weight...these are high quality airplanes we are building, do it right!

leave the overlays and fake carbon to these guys

253-40230-1522.jpg

Is putting carbon fiber in aluminium aeroplanes a good idea? I would have thought that from a corrosion standpoint this was not a good combination.
Insulating the two would be difficult if not impossible over the long term, (I would have thought) :confused: