Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
I have used carbon fiber for several parts on my -3. It is impressive if applied properly to use the stiffness advantage. My gear has wood stiffeners (rehab project) with fiberglass covers. I read numerous references to "shaky gear" and correct tire pressure. I am aware that carbon touching steel is "no no!

I can fabricate a carbon laminate structure and cover fairing that would be VERY stiff. What say you? Input appreciated.

I have used carbon fiber for several parts on my -3. It is impressive if applied properly to use the stiffness advantage. My gear has wood stiffeners (rehab project) with fiberglass covers. I read numerous references to "shaky gear" and correct tire pressure. I am aware that carbon touching steel is "no no!

I can fabricate a carbon laminate structure and cover fairing that would be VERY stiff. What say you? Input appreciated.

Do we want gear stiffeners or gear dampers? Dampers absorb energy and supress oscillation. Stiffeners do not. Wood will absorb energy due to it's fibrous structure. I don't know if Carbon fiber is as good.

I'm with Vern. Graphite/epoxy has about 2x the damping factor compared to stainless steel. Kevlar 49/epoxy would be 30x.