rjcthree

Well Known Member
I’m considering going back to a carb from my Ellison. I have the MA 10-5135 that came with my engine core. 10-5135 was superseded by 10-5217, which is pretty common out in the world.

- Does anyone have info or can point me to info related to configuration by pn?
- My 10-5135 is marked MF and V, along with A1 and 9. MF is the float AD and the V is the Venturi AD I believe, but can anyone explain the A1 and the 9?
- who is the favored OH shop on this?
- is the OH a big deal? I’ve got the skills.
- I’ll be searching the archives on jetting, I know my motor likes fuel at WOT, based on previous work to get the Ellison to run rich enough.

Thanks.

Attachments

• B9FD7BC8-63C7-429B-BEA9-F6F3E568F55D.jpeg
    B9FD7BC8-63C7-429B-BEA9-F6F3E568F55D.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 231
Research

From what I’ve been able to get out of VAF and a couple other places…

10-5135 was superseded by 10-5217. They use the exact same service kits. They have 0.093” jets. I’m not sure what nozzle they have, but I suspect I can figure it out.

The 10-5009 is also on the MS application chart for the O-320-H2AD. Online research suggests it has a 0.1065” jet. It can is also available as a -5009N, which has a different nozzle. That is available direct from MS or as a field mod kit.

There is also the 10-3678-32 which is used on -320s, it has a 0.1065” jet. It can be modded to a new nozzle 47-862, which makes it a 10-3678-32M, or available from the factory as a 5-6200. Seems like the Carbon Cubs are doing this to feed the CC-340 engine.

Drilling jets is talked about a lot. Any advice on what you have or did and how it works would be helpful.

I reached out to MS and have not heard back. I’d love to collect this wisdom so I can ask them smart questions. Thanks.

What’s in a name?

Rick, your carb may have a new tab on it from Facet but the first serial number at the top is the one you want. MA4SPA. It’s a Marvel Schebler carb and the best overhaul shop on Earth IMHO is Aircraft Carb and Injector Service in Dish TX. They are old school but as an A&P I can attest to their quality of workmanship. My RV6X carb was better than new when I got it back.

No website but they actually answer their phone. :)
Give them a call: 940-648-2277
V/R
Smokey

Smokey has a good shop

I did what Smokey suggested. Bobby knew exactly what I was looking for and turned it in a week. Old school shop. Linda answers the phone, no real website. The carb came back looking like new, maybe better. Thanks!

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of is to make them rebuild YOUR carb, or if they take yours as a trade, they need to measure your carb's jet before tossing it in a pile of cores. The MA4SPA comes in a variety of model numbers, and one of the differences between the models is the jet size.

This caused me problems when I purchased a rebuilt carb for my -6. We matched up the numbers on the data plates, but my original carb had been modified (unbeknownst to me), and the replacement had a smaller jet.