strahler13

Well Known Member
Can someone give a recommendation as to where to send my carb in for repair/overhaul? I think it is running too lean and has about 1200 hrs. on it.

Thx,
Mark

Can someone give a recommendation as to where to send my carb in for repair/overhaul? I think it is running too lean and has about 1200 hrs. on it.

Thx,
Mark

I have talked to the guys at D&G Supply a couple times about carbs. They will gladly do an overhaul, but they will also talk you through issues to help you determine if that is what is really needed. Overhauls are kind of spendy.

http://www.dgsupply.com/

I've "overhauled" a number of carbs and found that rarely was there anything worn out that couldn't be easily replaced. About the most overpriced service in aviation.

Hello Mark,

It may not apply to you but could be worth looking at.

I as well was having the same symptoms and posted it "Unable to lean for max RPM, why?"

End result The mixture lever was hitting the clevis before it could hit the stop on the carb. In short, there was about 1/8"+ gap between the lever and the carb so I was never getting full rich like I thought. We ground out a little on the lever so it would have clearance to swing into the clevis and give me full stroke. The plugs were very clean and almost too lean.
It appears that this plane has always been like this for 500 hrs and no one else (2 previous owners & builder) realized there was a problem. Good thing most of the flying has been around here at the higher elevations and not down at sea level on a colder day.

Good luck

Tim

Carb...

These carbs are just oversized tractor carbs... heck I have the smaller version on my `49 Ford 8N tractor. I've got the manuals if you need them, about the same as a lawnmower carb... a no brainer. :)

I just replaced the carburetor on my cherokee's O-320. The body was horribly worn out where the throttle shaft passes through; so bad that you could wiggle the shaft and fuel would pour out the side.

A tempest overhauled carb was only $700 from spruce, and it's all marvel parts and looked brand new. Probably would have cost more to get the old one bushed and overhauled, especially once factoring in shipping, etc.