SFB711

RV-6A with a XP-360/Precision carb with a carb temp sensor in it. The probe reads ambient tempature on the Dynon EMS just fine. When carb heat is applied I only get a few degree rise in the temp. I have the carb heat kit from vans installed on the exhaust just above the airbox. Anyone getting different/better result?

Thanks,

Steve B.

I suggest that you order a new muff from Wicks, part number EC100-020. It fits around the cross-over pipe and is much more effective. I get 60 RPMS of drop on runup with carbheat applied.

Regards,

Common

SFB711 said:
RV-6A with a XP-360/Precision carb with a carb temp sensor in it. The probe reads ambient temperature on the Dynon EMS just fine. When carb heat is applied I only get a few degree rise in the temp. I have the carb heat kit from vans installed on the exhaust just above the airbox. Anyone getting different/better result? Thanks, Steve B.
Yep crummy results are common. What "painless" said. Cheers

If you do a search on archives you will see much discussion. The good news is the Lyc is carb ice "resistant" (not immune) and the RV cowl and exhaust are tight which tends to keep it carb warmer. However long long descents at low low power with the temp/humidity just right and you can lose power. It's rare, but there is one or two documented suspected RV carb ice cases in the NTSB files. Of course its always hard to prove, when the evidence melts at the scene of the accident.

Run up temp rise is a good indicator but the real indicator would be in flight with a low power setting.

Last edited: