Guenthfa

Hello, I'm building my first RV and in the later stages of assembly, specifically the filtered airbox for my 0-360. My question is that on every carburated aircraft I've ever owned they had a dedicated carb heat source. It appears to me that the FAB for my RV-7 uses an alternate air source that pulls air in from inside the cowling. Has anyone used this system in actual carb ice situations and if so how does it work vs an actual carb heat system?

Thank you

Van's carb heat uses pre-heated air that's drawn from a tube surrounding the exaust pipe, plus some additional warmer air from the cowl interior. A door closes the ram intake, and opens an inlet from the exaust pipe tube.

As to being as efficiently warm as some other aircraft, it's apparantly on the cooler side........from what I've heard.

The optional (cable operated) alternate air door, that's installed on the bottom of the airbox, is just an emergency air duct, to bypass the filter; should a bird or slush find it's way into the ram air intake. I installed it...

L.Adamson

Last edited: