painless

Well Known Member
After reading about how the supplied carbheat "tin can" muff from Van's is rather ineffective in supplying actual heat to the carb, I decided to order a new muff from ACS to replace it.

This muff (of course I do not have the stock number) is the type that installs on one of the cross-over pipes in front of the oil sump. It is closed on both ends and has a fitting for scat tubing to the airbox. The thing that I am questioning is if I need to make some perforations in this muff to supply the necessary alternate air throught the heat muff as does the Van's tin-can type. My plan would be to drill holes in the muff, maybe half inch in diameter, so that their total area would equal that of the scat tube diameter.

Is this really necessary? The flange on the airbox for carbheat is on a raised type of mount so that air can get under it, but is that enough area to allow enough air under there??

Any thoughts from those who have used this type of muff? I realize that Lycomings are less prone to carb ice, yada yada yada, but I like the piece of mind being able to apply heat via a system that is a bit more efficient than Van's setup.

Thanks folks.

Just about ready for engine run-up.

Regards,

Last edited:
I bought one from wicks, part number EC100-020. I fits between the cross over tubes. I made no modifications to it. May be the same part. It causes about a 50 - 60 rpm drop when activated (vs absolutely nothing on the vans "beer can") so it's doing something.

Doug Meloche

Thanks Doug. Come to think of it, I believe I got mine from Wicks as well. It is out at my hangar so I don't have the part number. Sounds like it is the same muff.

Regards,