crabandy

Well Known Member
I found this when working on the plane today, fuel smell and blue streams on top of the right rear FAB. It is not dripping down the side of the carb, it seems to be seeping from the little screw on the bottom right. The mixture was pushed in an inch or so from me bumping it in the cockpit, not sure if I bumped it this morning or last night. It's had fuel in it since Sat and this is the first I've noticed it, can this happen if the mixture was partially on overnight?
Thanks, Andy
6BC8BCD8-A3A9-4BFD-863F-B52C68567C52-21618-00000C6639EC5819_zpscce433e8.jpg

21BB36B4-0DB0-402F-87CC-F1FE867C30FD-21618-00000C664097BC11_zps50348cf7.jpg

I have a fuel smell Issue

For the last few months I too have smelled fuel. I checked every line, fitting and rivet, but never found a trace of blue dye anywhere. But I have not looked there. I'll check that screw when I get back to the hanger. Thanks for the info and the picture. That might be it. Best regards, Bill. RV-8A Bluebird

Still have a slight seepage, seems to be coming from the right front bottom of the carb to air box top plate. I made sure the mixture was at cutoff last night and this morning there was just a trace of blue Moisture at the rear right side of the carb. Moving the mixture in slightly seems to accelerate the seepage. Overhauled engine/carb in 2009, it's a Marvel Schebler MA-4-5. Seems to run well since I adjusted the idle screw in 1 3/4 and I get 20-30 rpm rise on shutdown. I've only ran it 3 times and all 3 times when I pull the mixture to idle cutoff it runs smoothly for almost 4 seconds before it dies. Perhaps my mixture isn't shutting off completely? Ideas please!
Thanks,
Andy

What is the epoxy over and around the drain plug for? I would pull the carb and die check for cracks around the screw bores you will also be able to tell if this is fuel overflow from inside the carb.What float do you have installed?
RHill

Proseal over the drain plug to seal FAB.
I'm not sure about the float type, whatever they used when it was overhauled. I haven't got ahold of the guy who signed off the yellow tag yet.

How do I know if its fuel overflow from inside the carb? I suspect the fuel is running down the inside throat of the carb and soaking into the gasket at the airbox and spreading from there, possibly from the accelerator pump?

Last edited: