mikegraycmg

Well Known Member
Does anyone know how to find out the flow rate of various carburetors?

Because of engine mount interference, I have to change the sump on my 0-360A1G6D (180 hp) from rear facing to vertical induction, and, consequently need to change the carburetor from the horizontal type to the vertical. My current carburetor is is an HA 6, part no. 10-5230. A vertical induction sump that will fit is part no. 78915, and Lycoming tells me that it will bolt up with my engine and a 10-3878 carb. I need to find out whether the 10-3878 carb will have an equivalent air flow to the existing 10-5230. Anybody know how to find out?

10-3878 is a common carb on 180HP O-360's... so I see no reason why it wouldn't work in your application. I would, however, suggest reading up on different models on this site as there have been several discussions... one of the "richer" models may work a bit better...

Mike,
What makes a O-360-A1G6D unique to itself, as compared to another O-360 with vertical induction, is the difference in the induction system. So if you take the horizontal induction off and put vertical on, then you would end up with a different engine model but the same top end and cam for either. So the airflow through either engine would be the same as the cylinders, cam etc. of either engine is the same. So to answer your question, any carb and induction system combination made for any parallel valve, 180 hp engine, will bolt up to you engine, work fine and provide adequate through put fro the engine.
Good luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Does anyone know how to find out the flow rate of various carburetors?
I need to find out whether the 10-3878 carb will have an equivalent air flow to the existing 10-5230. Anybody know how to find out?

Mike,
I agree with above posts.
The 10-3878 was a normal carb shipped from Vans a few years ago.
Vans now ships 10-4164 carbs........just a richer version of the 3878.
You can convert a 10-3878 to something close to a 4164 with a kit.
But if you are shopping, try to get a 10-4164.
either way, you will most likely end up drilling the main jet to get fuel flow
correct for your airplane. There are lots of good threads on here about that topic.
If you are intent on finding airflow.......Precision Airmotive had the info when they were selling the carbs, so you should be able to find it somewhere, assuming they are willing to tell you. For liability reasons, they all seem to be very careful what information is let out. Good Luck.