McFly

Well Known Member
I was talking with another builder about his fuel leak issues around the tank access plate screws. He said if he had used ?captive? nutplates rather than the traditional nutplates, he would have been saved himself a lot of heartache.

He described a captive nutplate as one that encapsulates the screw. I can visualize what he is talking about and it seems like a good, dirt simple idea but I have never heard of them. It?s too late for me but I was wondering if anyone has gone this route and how did it work out

I used them. I haven't filled my tanks, but they didn't seem to leak during testing and I only used the cork gasket on the access plate. These nutplates have a dome that covers the nut and screw and an o-ring that seals against the surface.

Hugh, you're so close...don't get caught up over-thinking little stuff like this at the last minute. There are hundreds (thousands?) of RVs flying with the "stock" per-plans stuff. Just regular old nutplates. Some have leaked, sure, but those are the exception, not the rule.

Keep crankin' toward that finish line. You'll be there SOON!!!

Yes

Dan's absolutely correct. As one sage said, "You're only gonna fly it to California, not the moon......." :D

Or John Harmon, "Just build the d*** airplane!" :D

Blue skies and tailwinds....er tailwheels?

Thanks Dan but no worries. I know I build at a glacial pace but I don?t rebuild where I have been before. Actually, I am at the other end of the spectrum now and I am battling the builder version ?Senioritus?.

This thing better get me further than California :D

pierre smith said:
"You're only gonna fly it to California, not the moon......." :D

Blue skies and tailwinds....er tailwheels?
...er, you're only going to Georgia... :D

Wow, I didn't see the "Chico" initially. My parents and siblings live in Paradise and I may come out in December. Have to look you up. :)

My parents and siblings live in Paradise and I may come out in December. Have to look you up

Pierre, please do look me up :) I'll leave a private message with my numbers and contact info.

You took recently took a friend of mine (Rob) up for his first RV ride, small world. Six degrees of seperation may work for the rest of the world but I think two degrees works in the aviation community

Self Sealing Nutplates

Domed Self Sealing Nutplates can be purchased from sources like Genuine Aircraft Hardware Company and are usually listed as NAS1473 (standard spacing) or NAS1474 (mini spacing) series.

Hawkeye
Skyote, RV-3