RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I will try to keep this short...

Does anybody think that the tail of a pop-rivet sticking ~1/8" into the 3/8" space between the rib and capacitive sender plate will interfere or cause the sender readings to be thrown off?

I am inclined to think "no", but since this is tank related I would like to feel a little more confident before I seal it up (again).

Thanks!

So long as it does not contact the capacitance plate, there should be no problem. Once the plates are secured in place, they shouldn't vibrate and cause intermitant contact with the rivet in question.

I too am curious why you have a pulled rivet in there....

Regards,

I forgot the anti-hang-up angle for the flopper...D'oh! Full story here.

I tried angling it back away from the cap sender area, but I didn't like how the flop tube hit it (could be asking for trouble).

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the capacitive system relies on both surface area of the plates as well as spacing to the ribs. So, having a pop rivet head in an area will have some "tiny" effect... but if you look at the overall area then it will be insignificant. IMHO

What a name....Chickenlips!!! LOL

Anyway....I am not so sure the spacing from the ribs is a factor. The major factor is that the plates are isolated from the rest of the tank electrically. The distance between the plates is another factor, but again this rivet is a non issue in that regard.

Actually, the spacing from the ribs does matter, because that is how a capacitor works. Plates closer together, more capacitance, further appart, less. However, the surface area of the rivet is so small that it should have a minimal effect on how the sender performs.

Tracy.

painless said:
What a name....Chickenlips!!! LOL
I had the same reaction. :D

Thanks for the input guys! I haven't put the rivet in yet, I stopped just short of it when it occured to me where the tail of the rivet would be. Maybe I should just put a pop-rivet in the same place in the other tank so that they are "off" by the same amount. ;)

Last edited:
Brad, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It is worth checking in to, though.

I think that once the system is calibrated you are set.

:) CJ

Guy Prevost said:
You calibrate the system yourself. Any errors cause by the rivet will be in the noise anyway.
Good point, thanks!
Captain_John said:
Brad, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It is worth checking in to, though.
Thanks CJ... yea, with the tanks I am erroring on the side of caution. I really don't want to open them up... AGAIN. ;)