ppilotmike

Well Known Member
With regard to the Vans cap senders, the bulkhead connection is a male BNC. I understand that a female BNC attaches there, but the wire going to the converter is probably NOT coax, right? I thought the BNC connectors are made for coax only... Can anyone please tell me how the cap senders get wired up, or better yet, show me pictures of theirs? Thanks.

Last edited:
What converters are you going to use? Dynon sells some that have a female BNC on a small board, and the power/ground/signal wires coming out of that. I used it and wasn't happy with it due to the very small range of output voltages, which gave poor readings for fuel levels from around 12 gallons on down, so I switched to Princeton Electronics. Those have a long coax (not RG-400, don't know what it is) which terminates in a ring terminal, which then get's screwed onto a female BNC with a screw on the top. That wire goes to a box which can be mounted inside or wherever, and the power/ground/signal wires come out of that box. Advantage to Princeton: you can set empty, and it calibrates that to 0V, full gets calibrated to 5V, and then you go through whatever EFIS calibration procedure you need, and it gets the full 0-5V range input.

Sure

I used a dynon cap converter, it. Has a Bnc directly on the circuit board. It connects right onto the bnc on the tank. Others have the converter located remotely, those would get a single wire connected to center pin of bnc and connected that way, and the power and signal wire run from the converter to your system.

Bird