Jim P

Well Known Member
Any idea where I can get cap head, hex brass screws in black oxide? Tried McMaster but they are not black oxided.

Thanks,

Jim

Curious?

Jim P said:
Any idea where I can get cap head, hex brass screws in black oxide? Tried McMaster but they are not black oxided.

Thanks,

Jim

Cap head?, Do you mean Socket Head Cap, or Hex Head Cap?

Black Oxide on Brass?

I am curious what are you trying to accomplish.

I don't know if I can help, but I am still, curious.

cap head screws

Another guy looking! I'd like to get steel or SS screws with a socket head - hex for Allen wrench. Color is unimportant - native metal or cad plate OK. Perhaps I didn't know how to order- I got small hex head (six sided cap) screws from fastenal. Thanks for any help - what is proper nomenclature for the ones with a socket head? Bill

Nomenclature

Bill Dicus said:
Another guy looking! I'd like to get steel or SS screws with a socket head - hex for Allen wrench. Color is unimportant - native metal or cad plate OK. Perhaps I didn't know how to order- I got small hex head (six sided cap) screws from fastenal. Thanks for any help - what is proper nomenclature for the ones with a socket head? Bill

For the commercial callout's when dealing with places like fastenal or other, use the following format.

(DIA) - (THREAD PITCH) x (LENGTH UNDER HEAD) "Socket Head Cap Screw"
or for low profile "Button head Cap Screw" (MATERIAL) (FINISH or PLATING)

Last edited:
For non-structural, Lowes has a decent selection. I bought the minimum 25 screws to use on the fuel selector valve from Mcmaster-Carr, then found them at Lowes. If you only need a couple, drop me an email and I'll send them to you.

Tom Brink

While looking for hardware I'm having a hard time finding the 100 degree dimpled washers for my wheel pants and other composite covers that are shiny, mayb e stainless? My Wicks washers are a very dull finish. And I'd like some with a smaller outside diameter but can't find them. What I have is A3235-020 (& 028) -24A. Don't know what all that means. :confused:
Can you help Tom?
Thanks.

I too found the socket head black screws at Lowe's that were small enough to mount my electronic ignition without making much bigger holes inthe box than were there to strt with. Don't like not using aircraft hardware but there are 4 and easy to inspect. Was nice to use an allen wrench in tight behind the engine on the heads.
Dave V.

RVadmirer said:
While looking for hardware I'm having a hard time finding the 100 degree dimpled washers for my wheel pants and other composite covers that are shiny, mayb e stainless? My Wicks washers are a very dull finish. And I'd like some with a smaller outside diameter but can't find them. What I have is A3235-020 (& 028) -24A. Don't know what all that means. :confused:
Can you help Tom?
Thanks.

I too found the socket head black screws at Lowe's that were small enough to mount my electronic ignition without making much bigger holes inthe box than were there to strt with. Don't like not using aircraft hardware but there are 4 and easy to inspect. Was nice to use an allen wrench in tight behind the engine on the heads.
Dave V.

We really do stock more types of hardware than most other fastener distributors, and having been a mechanic and an IA I know what folks are looking for.

The tech page for the washers you are looking for is

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/specialwash.pdf

To purchase go to www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

then in the left side menu
Washers, then

Countersunk Large Area

This should do the trick.

Tom

A couple more questions:
Is the #10 .... Shiny Stainless what I'm looking for?
And, what is the finish on the two aluminum washers with .625 outside diam.? What is the difference betweeen the two....?
Thanks again.
DV

RVadmirer said:
A couple more questions:
Is the #10 .... Shiny Stainless what I'm looking for?
And, what is the finish on the two aluminum washers with .625 outside diam.? What is the difference betweeen the two....?
Thanks again.
DV

#10 CSW,SS SH = Countersunk, Large Area Washer, Shiny Stainless.

The Aluminum ones have a Gray Anodized finish.

For me to tell what that the differences are, you would need to give me the part #'s

On our site we have pictures of many of our stock items.

We will be working on more of them, as time allows. I see that washers is one of those areas.