md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
It's been one of those weeks, I guess. First, I couldn't figure out what was going on with the elevator horn/root rib/spar connection (that's was resolved). And now I managed to identify those bottom elevator skin-to-spar holes that would have to have blind rivets due to squeezer yoke limits, marked and match-drilled them to #30. Later, after clecoing on the counterweight assembly, I stood back from the bench to admire my work only to realize I had actually drilled the #30 holes in the TOP skin!!! :eek:

I dejectedly turned out the lights and trudged back into the house to announce the ruination of the right elevator. After showing the problem to my seamstress wife, she said, "Looks like you just need thicker thread."

So, may I use larger solid rivets in the #30 holes and, if so, what size should they be? For that matter, could I just enlarge the other #40s to #30 on that top skin/spar and use those larger solid rivets to at least give the appearance of uniformity on the top side?

Thank you for your replies and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but perhaps I AM the only person to have ever done this. :eek:

If I understand you, the blind rivets, I think they are CS 4-4, need a #30 hole through the spar and the skin on the bottom of the elevator rib. Put a picture here or send me a photo and it will be easier to figure out. It sounds like you did OK if they are just for the bottom of the elevator rib.

I will take a picture of the bottom of my elevator tomorrow. I just finished them a bit ago.

Are you familiar with Opps Rivets? These are rivets that have the head of an AN3 rivet but the body or thickness of an AN4. You will need to check the edge distance on the rib to make sure that the Opps rivet is not to big, but my thought is that they will be fine. Check the plans and your rib first, as I do not have mine available for review. No need to open up the rest of the AN3 holes because you will not be able to tell which is an Opps and which is a regular AN3 rivet. Make sure that the dimpled hold for the #30 hole is dimpled for a #40 rivet. Should not be a problem for you to correct. You can get these from Van's.
Good luck.
Steve
RV 9A 290 HRS

Are you familiar with Opps Rivets? T

Looks like I'm going to be! I'll get some ordered from Van's as you suggest. I think one has to be careful using the dimple die for the #40 hole in a #30 hole, though, to keep it centered...

Rockwoodrv9 - I think I wasn't very clear in my description of the problem. It was that I had incorrectly drilled the #30 holes on the TOP surface instead of the bottom.

Thanks to you both for your quick response. I'm amazed as the patience and tolerance most people have on VAF for helping address stupid mistakes...

I'm amazed as the patience and tolerance most people have on VAF for helping address stupid mistakes...
That is because anyone who is responding to you who has built one of these planes has 100% empathy with your situation. If it wasn't that exact "stupid" mistake they made, they will tell you of several other "stupid" mistakes they did make.

Please do not use "Oops" rivets in the case.

You may use 1/8" rivets where 3/32" are called out.

"Opps" rivets are designed for a few here and there, not for general construction.

Thank you, Mel. It's true that I would have to use a considerable number of them. Could you tell me what the equivalent 1/8 rivet would be to replace the called out AN426AD3-3.5?

... Could you tell me what the equivalent 1/8 rivet would be to replace the called out AN426AD3-3.5?

AN426AD 4-4 (I don't think they come in 3.5) No one will even notice unless you point it out.

Don't let the setbacks stress you out. Enjoy the process and the learning.

Good luck.

AN426AD 4-4 (I don't think they come in 3.5) No one will even notice unless you point it out.

Don't let the setbacks stress you out. Enjoy the process and the learning.

Good luck.

Fred, thank you! Just what I needed to know (but should have just figured out from the references I have).

SIZE matters

You may use 1/8" rivets where 3/32" are called out.

"Opps" rivets are designed for a few here and there, not for general construction.

Mel, the NAS1097AD4-(?) could be used to replace a MS20426AD3-(?)

Not advocating general use, skin thickness and condition play a part in the builders decision. They are uses extensively in some commuter aircraft, designed with them on purpose.