DRead

I'm fitting the canopy to the frame, and after notching the canopy for the vertical frame members, and I pull the canopy on to the horizontal frame, is it normal for the canopy to pull in past the vertical?

Go to as many RV-8 photos as you can. Look at the canopies. From the back, the canopy looks a little like a bubble, sitting on the fuse.

I'm trimming my canopy now and have to pull it onto frame about an inch in the back going way past vertical. A little worried about all the pre-load in it.

"A little worried about all the pre-load in it" - main reason why I opted to glue with Sikaflex instead of drilling holes and rivetting. To answer the original question my canopy did go past the vertical in the position you mentioned - so I guess that is quite normal.

Bob
www.rv-8.co.uk
Fibreglass and more fibreglass .....

Yup, thats normal

And yes, thats part of why the Sikaflex method is so much better. IMHO

I seem to recall bending the back loop of the canopy frame up a little bit to get a better fit to the canopy. I also had to bend the forward bow to match the roll bar as per VANs instructions.
In the final fitting, the right side fiberglass skirt fit perfect, but the left one fit poorly in the back 1/3. I cut that part off and laid up a new one in place over sheet plastic and packing tape, using poster board as a mould.