yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Spent most of today sanding the canopy (the sanding attachment on the Harbor Freight oscillating tool works great!)-- now have the correct gaps at the front and rear. My question is: plans specify (pages 35-05 & 34-06) "1/8 nominal, 1/4 max" clearance between the bottom of the plexiglass and the top of the bottom side rail (square tube). With the plex resting on both the front and rear bows (I assume that's what it's supposed to do) I have essentially zero gap at the bottom. Is it really necessary to cut (sand!) 1/8" off the bottom of the canpopy? It seems that the whole structure would be stronger if the canopy is sitting on that rail instead of being ribeted to an ?020" angle 1/8 above. Anybody else have to trim the bottom of their canopy?

Thanks

Wayne 143WM

Hey Wayne

I let mine rest on the side frames. I sanded only to make sure it was sitting on the rail smoothly, no high spots. So far ( over 50 hours and lots of cold weather ), it has not given me any problems. I too felt it was better to have it rest all the way along the rails. Just be sure you have NO high spots that could cause pressure. That could be a problem.

John Bender

34-05 Canopy

Wayne,
The 1/8" gap between the canopy and instrument panel is a minimum dimension as shown in Detail C. More is better. The clearance on mine was not enough and, when opening the canopy, it caught on the corner of the glare shield and bent it. A friend of mine had trouble closing his canopy completely because the canopy overlapped the glare shield.
Joe