iamtheari

Well Known Member
Tonight was my second hour sanding on the canopy forward fairing. It turned out really well except for the following two things:

* In the transition area on both sides, I reached plexiglass. On the left side it's just a small area, about 1" x 1/4" exposed. On the right side it's 8-1/2" long and mostly 1/4" wide but at one point it reaches 1/2" and the edge of one canopy clip is exposed

* In the flat side area, on both sides, a small area of aluminum canopy skin is exposed

I am debating what to do about this. It seems that I could do any of the following:

1. Add more electrical tape layers and lay up more fiberglass across the entire fairing to get a thicker piece to work with
2. Just lay up more fiberglass on the affected areas, maybe two examples of Ply A
3. Use a microballoon mixture to make a thin layer of fill across the affected areas

Other than these issues and a couple of low spots on the forward radiused edge of the canopy fairing, which are not that low, I am happy with my results. Hoping to get some advice and build on without delay. Once I finish the canopy, I'm putting it on wheels and moving it to the garage so I can have space to build the wings in the main airplane factory (basement).

Thanks in advance!