RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am at the point where I need to rivet the track cap and spacer together, so I have a dumb question. How did you guys finish these parts? Seem like I should prim the spacer (1/2" part that is on the bottom). The track cap is the .063 alclad, my thinking is to leave this unfinished an polish. I have been used to the new style step by step instructions where you get to the step that says, "prime as needed". For the life of me I can't remember what I have seen on other RV-8s. Seems that you would not want to pain the cap part of the track since it will constantly get rubbed by the slide block. Has any one anodized them. I know some have anodized the side rail tracks? Thank for the inputs.

Cheers

That was a while back for me, but as I recall, I stopped using DP-40 primer from a spray gun when I started priming small parts. I switched to rattle can Marhyde.
I do try to prime faying surfaces, so this would be a good candidate ( the riveted together surfaces) All the exterior surfaces are unpainted.

Rear canopy Rail

I primed the bottom piece on all sides and then riveted it together. I am going to polish the top since it is a) visible and b) sort of a bearing surface. I have heard of buiders anodizing it all. I have tried to prime at least one side of any two aluminum parts that touch, figuring that it won't corrode that way.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8
Finishing

Mike,

I riveted the assembly together and then had it anodized. Came out nice.

-Chris

Mine is painted, doing fine

I was somewhat worried about the paint on the rear track, but mine was too scratched up to polish (long story).
Anyway, I had the paint shop paint it with the fuselage top coat (jetglo) and it is holding up fine. I waxed it heavily, and the UHMW guide block slides smoothly on the glossy paint.

Polished it is

Hello back Luca,

I see you have had plenty of know, there is a webcam on a square in Trento I get on my iPhone.

I think I plan to go with the polished track. I will prime the mating surfaces and the spacer track on the underside.

Did you use a Nuvite polish or some other brand?

Hi Mike, mine is polished, about 1 year ago, mounted and still look nice.