hecilopter

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried a window tint on their canopy? I talked with a guy at Auto Sound and they have a product called Hepa Cool or something like that which is optically clear, almost no tint, but blocks 99% of UV and 80% of the HEAT. They have a demo where a 250 watt light shines thru glass and you can feel the heat, it gets very warm on your hand. Then you slide the Hepa Cool tinted glass in front of the lamp, and the heat goes away. I mean there is nothing coming thru! You can see thru it at night since it has almost no tint to it.

I just wondered how well it would stick to plexi and if anyone has had any experience trying this. I would really like to do it if it can be successful. It would make the cockpit MUCH cooler, save avionics, block UV, etc.

The guy at Auto Sound assured me he could do this without scratching the canopy and it would never peel, guaranteed. I don't know what I would do if it did :) Any comments from someone who has tried this would be appreciated.

Interesting and sounds very promising if he can deliver!

I wonder how he applies it? If it is a stick on, he might have a problem with the compounded curves on the canopy with relative tight radius.

I applied a stick-on car Head light protection once, with compounded tight curves (A Toyota MR2 with Bug Eye headlamps:) ). It had to be cut on some of the tight corners.

Please let us know about your investigations...

Thanx,
Rudi

hecilopter said:
Has anyone tried a window tint on their canopy? I talked with a guy at Auto Sound and they have a product called Hepa Cool or something like that which is optically clear, almost no tint, but blocks 99% of UV and 80% of the HEAT. They have a demo where a 250 watt light shines thru glass and you can feel the heat, it gets very warm on your hand. Then you slide the Hepa Cool tinted glass in front of the lamp, and the heat goes away. I mean there is nothing coming thru! You can see thru it at night since it has almost no tint to it.

I just wondered how well it would stick to plexi and if anyone has had any experience trying this. I would really like to do it if it can be successful. It would make the cockpit MUCH cooler, save avionics, block UV, etc.

The guy at Auto Sound assured me he could do this without scratching the canopy and it would never peel, guaranteed. I don't know what I would do if it did :) Any comments from someone who has tried this would be appreciated.

Very interested. Maybe give him some scrap, curved plexiglass to do a demo trial on. This would be awesome if it was smooth and durable. Please keep us informed on this.

test

Great idea...maybe someone has a cracked canopy they would like to donate. I would, but I haven't cracked mine....yet.

Hwood

a little more info

I looked at the brochure I have, it is called Huper Optik. It is ceramic based instead of metallic like standard window tint. This also is why it has outstanding heat shielding properties. I think I am going to take him some plexi and see what we can come up with. I'm not sure on the cost, he said to do an entire car is about $500. I would pay that if it worked considering the Koger shade is $225.

Tinting Canopy

I am very interested in blocking the heat out of the cockpit in the summer months. So this film sounds very interesting. Here in Oklahoma, along with at least half of the rest of the US I am sure, the heat can get pretty bad. However the flip side to that issue is the lack of heat in the winter. As much as I want to block the heat from entering the cockpit in the summer, I really want that extra heat that a bright sunny day in the middle of January will provide for the temperture comfort level inside the cockpit in the winter. By applying this heat shielding film over the canopy what is going to happen to your ability to use the sun's heat in the winter? I would prefer to have a removable film that utilizes this stuff. Perhaps your window tinting guy could apply the film to some type of canopy shield that could be removed in the winter when you want as much heat as possible instead of applying it directly to the plexiglass on the canopy itself. :cool:

Steve
RVBYSDI

rv8ch said:
Just build two canopies, one treated, and one untreated, and swap them out twice a year! :)

That would be a good solution except for the price of the canopies and the work involved in building a second canopy. I have not started on the canopy yet but from the posts I have seen it looks like a pain to build not to mention the price of a second canopy. I would think there could be a cheaper and easier solution than building two canopies.

Steve
RVBYSDI

I know someone who knows someone ...

Actually, it is my brother who installs sun blocker on residential and commercial building windows.

His comment regarding the claims above are:

N941WR's Brother said:
The products I carry all block over 98% of the UV. Depending on the film, we can block up to 79% of the heat. However, the claim about optically clear is interesting.

I'm sitting down with my supplier tomorrow and I'll see what he knows.

Still, 79% of the heat is outstanding. I'll post another message when I hear back from him. The good news is I MIGHT be able to get us a discount on the stuff.

Status

Just curious if you have a status on your progress? Have you had any more discussions on this?