NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
When setting the temporary rivets to hold the canopy to the canopy frame, do you c-sink the plexiglass? In the final installation the canopy skirt will be c-sunk but not the canopy. But the rivets won’t sit properly if the canopy plexiglass isn’t c-sunk for the temp rivets.

Canopy plexi

Navy, Having built 2 RVs the 8 canopy is the most delicate until fixed, there is much discussion and if you get it on and is a nice fit good luck. But. I did not put a drill at all into my canopy and skirt,it’s all Sika Flexed, don’t counter sink the plexi is the answer from me. Good Luck

Navy, Having built 2 RVs the 8 canopy is the most delicate until fixed, there is much discussion and if you get it on and is a nice fit good luck. But. I did not put a drill at all into my canopy and skirt,it’s all Sika Flexed, don’t counter sink the plexi is the answer from me. Good Luck

Thanks but it's too late. I already drilled the canopy to the frame. Maybe I'll sika the next one!

Since the temp rivets are flush, I'm still trying to figure out if I need to c-sink the plexi for the temporary rivets.... Or are we supposed to use different rivets for the temp rivets vs. the final rivets called out?

On my RV-7 I used some #4 C/S screws in a few places along the sides as temporary fasteners. I tapped the drilled holes on the canopy frame. It held the plexi to the steel frame while I futzed with the metal side skirts.

Not sure if this would work for the RV-8. I think I got the idea here on VAF.

Thanks but it's too late. I already drilled the canopy to the frame. Maybe I'll sika the next one!

Since the temp rivets are flush, I'm still trying to figure out if I need to c-sink the plexi for the temporary rivets.... Or are we supposed to use different rivets for the temp rivets vs. the final rivets called out?

I Sika my canopy but I drilled the plexiglass and the canopy frame together. I used the cleco to secure the plexiglass canopy to the frame while the Sika cures. I found this method is a sure way to ensure the plexiglass stays on at the same on the canopy frame the way I trimmed it. The only time I used the clamps was to hold the plexiglass to the frame while trimming.