ccryan

Hey guys, just wanted to share an idea I had.

I recently cracked the canopy on my RV-4 during installation. I quickly ordered a new one from Todd's,(just got here the other day and he makes beutiful canopies), and contacted the local A&P school to inquire as to whether they'd be interested in a canopy to practice repairs on. They said yes so I will donate it to them and take a deduction at the end of the year.

Seemed a shame to throw the canopy away and now I'm going to actually get most of my money back that I spent on the new one.

I did'nt know if anyone else had thought of or posted this idea before so I thought I'd share my idea with you all. Hope this helps anyone in the same boat as me.

Chris

I'm confused. Assuming you're donating to a recognized charity, the most you can legitimately deduct is the fair market value of a cracked canopy. I can't imagine this being even $100. The reduced tax as a result could be what, maybe 30 bucks? What am I missing?

How is the IRS going to know the canopy was cracked? Just make sure the form the school gives you (and now you have to provide a form for every charitable contribution, not like previous years), you have to have it in writing what the market value is.

ccryan said:
Seemed a shame to throw the canopy away and now I'm going to actually get most of my money back that I spent on the new one.

Chris

Excuse me, but might we have tax deduction confused with tax credit ?

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

So you don't tell 'em

It was cracked....Deduct the full value..

All well and fine except that would be fraud and that means I get to pay more...Not cool!....

You wouldn't do this would you??

Frank

Builders Insurance

If you have builders insurance, this is a covered situation. I cracked mine during installation also. I contacted nationair who was the issuer of my builders policy and filed a claim. The cost of the canopy was covered along with the amount of time I had investing in working with it up to that point.

I don't see how it's fraud. Suppose the A&P school wanted to buy a canopy to work on from the same place we do. Wouldn't they pay full value? I suppose it depends on how badly cracked it is but aren't there a lot of RVs out there with some cracking in the canopy? A crack alone doesn't necessarily make it worthless, does it?

N520TX said:
If you have builders insurance, this is a covered situation. I cracked mine during installation also. I contacted nationair who was the issuer of my builders policy and filed a claim. The cost of the canopy was covered along with the amount of time I had investing in working with it up to that point.
Was there a deductible involved here? I should probably get some builders insurance before starting this.

I don't think so...

I don't recall completely, but I'm pretty sure there was no deductable. It's a cheap investment - about $400 if I recall for a year. Not a bad hedge for me since the canopy was a $1,000 item.

Most all homeowners insurance policies do NOT cover anything aircraft related - no matter what the damage is or how it was caused.

Bob Collins said:
I don't see how it's fraud. Suppose the A&P school wanted to buy a canopy to work on from the same place we do. Wouldn't they pay full value? I suppose it depends on how badly cracked it is but aren't there a lot of RVs out there with some cracking in the canopy? A crack alone doesn't necessarily make it worthless, does it?

C'mon now. It's fraud if you claim more than the fair market value, ie., what it would SELL for on the open market. There is no way that a cracked canopy is worth even close to full value.

Also, it is only a deduction if the school was a not-for-profit organization, so a typical trade school doesn't count.

Wow

I did'nt expect so many responses! When I said "most" of my money back that I spent on the new one I never said what I spent on the new one. Todd gave me a spectacular deal that I dont want to disclose, but a donation to a school or university does not have to be to a non-profit school for a tax deduction. Anything you give to your alma-mater,(we all get those requests in the mail), is tax deductable. As far as the value of the canopy, I paid $600 dollars for it. It's still a perfectly good canopy that could be installed on an aircraft. The crack is repairable and in the rear out of the line of sight of the pilot. So I dont see why it's not still worth $600. I dont want to get into any trouble with the IRS, and I dont cheat on my taxes so if I'm dead wrong please tell me.

Regars,
Chris

I think it comes down to

What is the honest value of a canopy with a crack in it?....We havent seen the crack but even if I could use it would expect to pay less than full price.

If you can donate this thing and with a straight face say its worth $600 then all the good for you....If you can't then you have a personal dilemma....My advice, deduct the honest value and do the right thing.

As far as the iRS is concerned it is unlikely they will audit you...but they might..:)

Ok..I'm out of the pulpit now...:)

Frank

ccryan said:
a donation to a school or university does not have to be to a non-profit school for a tax deduction. Anything you give to your alma-mater,(we all get those requests in the mail), is tax deductable. As far as the value of the canopy, I paid $600 dollars for it. It's still a perfectly good canopy that could be installed on an aircraft. The crack is repairable and in the rear out of the line of sight of the pilot. So I dont see why it's not still worth $600. I dont want to get into any trouble with the IRS, and I dont cheat on my taxes so if I'm dead wrong please tell me.

Regars,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I certainly never meant that you were attempting to cheat on your taxes, just that the FMV of a cracked canopy can't possibly be equal to that of an uncracked one. We both know that not a single person on here would pay $600 for it when they could buy a new one instead. Regarding the for-profit thing, chances are your alma mater is not-for-profit; however, many trade schools are for-profit and these cannot be used for tax deductions.

Builders Insurance covers booboos? I did not know that. I wonder how far that extends? Has anyone else used builders insurance for similar situations? Curious.

Thanks for all the input guys.

This is my first post and I never thought I would learn so much about taxes from this web site! In any case I did some checking and yes the school is and has to be non-profit for it to be a tax deduction...which most schools and universties are.

Second, I need to determine the FMV for the canopy. I still need to bring it to the school and determine that I guess. But the fact of the matter is it's still a canopy that can still be used as a canopy, so I dont think its fair to say it's worth only 100 dollars or so.

If someone completely destroys their canopy during construction but wants to save some money buying a new one, wouldnt he be willing to pay me a good price for mine that is slightly below new price? Dont forget the savings on shipping. Anyway, I think this topic has been beaten to death. Thanks for all the input.

I guess the moral is it's still going to be a tax deduction and I'm still getting something out of an unfortunate mistake I made.

Good point, Ned

Mine was cracked due to a 4x4 falling on it. Didn't occur to me that the *way* the damage happened might be a factor in whether or not it is covered.

ccryan said:
I guess the moral is it's still going to be a tax deduction and I'm still getting something out of an unfortunate mistake I made.

Not to mention you're helping out some aspiring A/P's too. That alone is a pretty cool thing. :D