Larco

Well Known Member
Back in the early RV6 building era I thought we were instructed to install the canopy struts with the ram rod down which appeared upside down. I thought we were told that it was very important in the way it handled the canopy. Now I see pictures and drawings with the struts installed opposite that which looks more normal. I would like someone to reaffirm the proper installation of the canopy strut.???? Thanks, Larry

Larry,
I think that is the standard convention for installing them (strut body up).
I think it is to extend the life by keeping the high pressure seal better lubricated.

Where did you see them depicted differently?

Hi Scott. So it looks like my memory is correct, been installing the body up for years. On DWG 49 dated 2/2/01 in the manual it appears to be strut body down. I see them mounted strut body down a lot so looked at the drawing and questioned myself.
Thanks for the reply, I’m on with life. :) Thanks Scott. Larry

Last edited:
The struts are designed with a cushion valve to allow the (in our case) canopy to come to a slow stop at the end of the extension, instead of just banging open.

This valve will only work if the body of the strut is in the upper position as it reaches full extension. This is very easy to prove.

DWG 49 for which aircraft model?

Here is a picture of page 49 and of the strut that i was referring to. I have no issue as I have generally mounted mine strut body up. Just thought the picture in the plans I looked at showed the body on the lower end. Larry
2yywqrs.jpg
[/IMG]
k037dj.jpg
[/IMG]