pilot28906

Well Known Member
OK, I have somehow got ahead of myself and riveted the forward canopy skin on with the plexi sika flexed on before I drilled and dimpled the canopy frame for the forward strut bracket. The holes for the screws go through the skin and frame with both needing to be dimpled/CS. Anyone have this happen and how do you move forward?

Thanks,

I'd call vans....this won't be easy (evidenced by no replies). Sure, you could go with a regular, domed head screws and not countersink but I doubt you want to do this. Let us know what you did to resolve.

Ellis
Fayetteville NC
2017 Donation made
RV-7a Tipup Canopy phase
Grumman Tiger owner, A&P/IA

If I remember this correctly, you CS the frame and dimple the skin. WHy not just C/S the whole thing now. Just be careful to the leave enough meat on the skin for the screw to hold it down. If the screw sits a bit proud of the skin, you can dress it with filler. You may need to make a little jig to hold the skin against the structure while you do the counter-sinking. I can't imagine pulling the whole canopy apart to address this.

Larry

Last edited:
From Van's:

At this point just countersink the structure you have assembled to accommodate the flush head screws.

Sterling