Chill31

I'm looking to replace my current canopy skirt since I swapped the Vans for Todds. Whatever the differences are between the install, my old one doesnt fit very well at all.

Does anyone have any tips on where to buy/how to make a new one?

Van wants 500$ for a new one (part C-802) unless part numbers have changed in the last 10 years :)

fiberglass

I don't think there should be any difference in the skirt just because you are using Todd's canopy. The skirt still has to fit to the shape of the frame.

That being said, when I first started installing my skirt, it fit so badly that my first thought was that I was going to have to order a replacement. Turns out that many of them just fit poorly. You have to do a lot of cutting and reglassing to get it to fit.

I second that. I had to to slice up the rear 1/3 of mine and glass over to get it to fit nicely.

Me three;
The right side skirt fit perfectly, but the left side skirt didn't.
I had to cut off the last 1/3, then I made up a mold on the aircraft using poster board and packing tape. I laid in new fiberglass and it worked great!

When you make your mold and cover it with packing tape, is that what you lay the glass and resin on? We only did a little bit of fiberglassing to get our 8 going, so still lots to learn in this area...

mold in place with posterboard and packing tape

I did just as shipchief did, I cut off and scarfed the existing skirt about mid length. Then, I taped on a strip of posterboard where I wanted it, covered it with packing tape (which makes a great mold release). then I waxed it, and layed up three plys of 8 oz glass cloth. Then, with it all still in place, I rough sanded it and tried to trim the edges some, careful not to scratch the aluminum skins too bad.

Then, I spread on a medium-stiff mix of microballoons (with a little bit of cab-o-sil to prevent saging). I sanded it to contour, covering and fairing out the various waves and defects in the initial lay-up, and at the same time, made it about 1/16"+ thick everywhere except along the top and bottom edges. Then, I layed up two more plys of glass on top of that.

The microballoon layer makes a sandwich construction that results in a very stiff skirt, as well as creating a nice smooth, fair shape for the final plies of glass, so less fill/finish work later. The finish/fill was done with a somewhat wet layer of microballoons and cabosil spread very thin, sand smooth, etc.

To me, this was way easier than wrestling with trying to get a good fit on the provided pieces.

photo

Here's a picture of a friend of mine working on the aft skirt for me. See what you're in for?

You should be able to click on the picture for a larger image.