Craig

Well Known Member
I searched the archives, but couldn't find a specific solution for my fiberglass problems.

In general, the advice was, "I had to cut and splice the fiberglass to make the skirt fit the fuselage".

I cut it, but it still doesn't fit - not even close.

Here's some pictures to illustrate:

In the first one, you can see that I already cut off the aft portion of the skirt to make the front fit better. Nevertheless, where I'm pointing is where the bottom edge starts to diverge from the fuselage.

In the next image, you can see that there is a big (3/4 inch) gap at the aft portion of the skirt where it is supposed to almost be touching the fuselage.

I tried heating an reforming the fiberglass, but it has way too far to go.

Any ideas on where to cut, or how to reform the skirt?

I searched the archives, but couldn't find a specific solution for my fiberglass problems.

In general, the advice was, "I had to cut and splice the fiberglass to make the skirt fit the fuselage".

I cut it, but it still doesn't fit - not even close.

Any ideas on where to cut, or how to reform the skirt?

Make the cut farther forward -- starting at the place where the skirt moves away from the fuselage. Fit the aft pieces independent of the front pieces by repositioning them and/or building them up in the appropriate places. Then use the built-up aft pieces as molds to make some new aft pieces. Connect the new aft pieces (which should fit perfectly) to the rest of it skirt, and you're done.

I have make pictures of this process at http://rv8.gwevans.net. Click on the "canopy" link on the left side.

Last edited:
???

Craig,

I am also working on the canopy skirt for my RV-8. I was wondering why you cut the skirt where you did. My interpretation of the advice I've read on the forums was to make the vertical cut at the aft centerline of the canopy, then use a metal plate to hold the two halves together and splice them with a fiberglass lay up. It looks in your picutre like you cut off the whole aft side of the skirt. My skirts fit pretty well to the fuselage on the left side and very well on the right side. My problem now is trying to get the curves of the skirt edges to be symmetrical so they look even from the rear.

I am brand new to the fiberglass, so I can't really give any advice. Sorry.

My skirts fit pretty well to the fuselage on the left side and very well on the right side.

Then you're very lucky. None of the angles were correct on mine, and I had huge gaps along the sides. I had to remove about 3 feet off the aft end of both sides of the skirt and completely remake it.

Thanks for the good ideas and website. I'll use some combination of them.

Be careful about saying "no big deal". It is when you were expecting to just drill the stupid things on. At my leisurely pace it adds weeks to the project. I know what you mean, though. Everything is a big deal until you've done it.

To the other Craig: From my searches on the subject, I expected to do just what you said, but it's not working out that way.

Craig,

This may be bad news but it looks to me that either you missed (didn't see or notice) the scribed trim line or it isn't on your skirt. For other builders near this step you may want to take a moment to follow along.

Try looking at the skirt at an angle with a glare on it. You'll be looking for a line lightly scratched in the fiberglass, yes it's hard to see and should run from the front edge along the bottom all the way to the back. If it's there, use a pencil to rub across the line to darken it and trim the skirt where the line is. You'll end up cutting about where you are pointing and the line should be in the same area.

If the line is there and you had trimmed to it first the skirt would have been much easier to fit.

I feel for ya buddy,, let us know if you find the line. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I appreciate your interest, but that's not the problem. I cut outside of the scribe lines by 1/4 inch, just like the instructions say. I had it all marked up with masking tape, but it's off now.

In the first image, if you click on it and enlarge it, you can still see the scribe lines about 1/4 inch inside the edges.

The other side is going to be the same. They simply don't fit. Another thread mentioned the possibility that the aft end of the canopy frame wasn't bent correctly on someone else's installation. Once again, I followed the manual precisely. My aft canopy frame clearance was dead in the middle of the recommended range.

I got a friend to come over that has substantial experience with fiberglass. He helped build the prototype white lightning, if you can remember what that was.

Here are a few pictures of his fast and fine work. One afternoons worth for him, probably a month for me.

1. Relief cuts at the aft end:

2. Side cuts:

3. Aft side glassed in:

4. Pressure point engineering:

I get a kick out of that last one.

... I got a friend to come over that has substantial experience with fiberglass. He helped build the prototype white lightning, if you can remember what that was.

Here are a few pictures of his fast and fine work. One afternoons worth for him, probably a month for me. ...
You're quite lucky to have a friend like that - keep him happy!