idleup

Well Known Member
I have spent some time searching the forums but am unable to find a clear answer for tip-up canopies...

QUESTION: Do the side skirts on the sides of the RV-7/9 canopy overlap the sides of the fuselage or sit on top of (and flush with) the fuselage?

Also, if they do overlap, how do you prevent them from rubbing and scratching your paint?

Thanks,

I can only tell you what I did -- I overlapped 'em. Glad I did. Seen more than one RV that had those sit on top during construction, but then by the time everything's done... you end up with a gap... Not good :)

I'd overlap just a little bit.. 1/4" or so.. give or take.. you can always file it down to smaller overlap.. harder to add material :)

I made mine sit on top during construction but wish I had remade them and had them overlap. I ended up with a gap that I hated so I made side extensions out of fiberglass that overhang the fuse sides by 1/2".

When I laid up the glass, I built up a 1/16" spacer out of blue tape before applying the glass. This spaced out the fiberglass extension enough that it does not scrub the side of the plane when opening and closing the canopy.

If I were to do it again, I would make new canopy side skirts that are wider and that would overlap. The glass is fine but the aluminum would be easier to do.

On my -6A...

...the canopy side skirts just touch (not overlap). This was with no weather seal attached to the bottom of the tip-up canopy.

With the weather seal material installed, there is a noticeable gap when the canopy is closed and locked. Still in Phase I flight testing...

Mine set on top.

There is a small gap, but I don't think that it is any greater then the gap would be between the over lap and the fuse side.

I think that they fly the same no matter which way you go.

Kent

I did mine to plans, which has the side skirts sit on top of the "canopy decks". I ended up with a fairly uniform gap but it's tiny. Weather seal takes up the gap. If I were to build another tip-up I would probably do it the same way. Having them overlapping just seems like a recipe for scratching up paint.

Mine is exactly as Jamie's or so. I have about less than 1/16 gap and very uniform. My paint has remained just as good and the weather strip is covering it so no wind/air comes in.

Good luck

I also did mine like Jamie and Bavafa. Worked out just fine with the rubber seal attached to bottom of canopy frame.

Roberta

Mine sit on top ...

...like Roberta, Jamie, and Bafava. I considered the overlap approach, but recognized a) thousands of RV owners are happy w/o lap, as Vans recommends, and b) every time I do something custom, it takes GOBS of additional time I hadn't foreseen. I'm close enough to the end now, I just want to be DONE. Custom deals and extra time consumers have left my vocabulary. ;)