rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
I'd like to use #6 screws instead of pop rivets in the forward bow of my 9A sliding canopy. Has anybody who has done this had any problems with the screws vibrating loose? I'd like to avoid using Locktite, since I hear it does bad things to plexiglass.

Thanks,

Mark

I don't know anything about canopies or mounting them or anything like that. I do know, though, that you can go to your local hobby shop and get this stuff called Formula 560. For the most part, it doesn't attack or fog plastics. It's designed to glue canopies onto model airplanes.

You could try a bit of that on some scrap plexi to see if it attacks/fogs that, and then try a bit with a screw and nutplate and see if it works OK as thread lock. I would guess that it gums stuff up enough that it'd probably be OK and won't be too terribly hard to remove in case you have to. The important part is to TRY IT before you do it for real because I could be raving lunatic with nothing better to do than try to ruin people's airplanes ;)

the manufacturer is Pacer Technologies. They're arguably about the best in the business for consumer cyanoacrylates (i.e. crazy glues) as well as other types of glues and things.

screws

I did it on mine, but I have nothing to say its going to work.. I tapped the small tube with #6 32 threads I counter sunk the plexi , it looks great but I have not twisted the airplane yet.. so if you can wait 3 or 4 months when/if
I have bought a new canopy.. I can tell you its a great idea. :) I just took
a chance.. I did make the holes bigger in the plastic and didn't tighten the screws very tight.. the fiberglass that it slides under should keep the screws
from falling out though.. :) I hope..

Danny..

Mark,
A small "blob" of RTV in the hole before final installation of the screws should prevent any backing out under vibration.

The RTV is safe with the Plexiglas...

.....gil in Tucson

Gil hit the nail on the head: 2300+ hours in our RV-6A with #6 screws and silicone in our bow; not a problem (or loose screw) :D Rosie

Wall thickness?

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering do you think the wall thickness of the bow on a 8 is the same as 6/7?
Thanks

canopy Srew Holes

A while back I remember seeing a message about using fuel hose (Radio Controlled Airplane type) in the canopy holes. I think they were going to drill over size holes then install pieces of hose in the hole then the screw/rivet. The purpose was to give the Canopy some "Give" and not crack. Does anyone remember or tried it?

Richard
RV7A, Wisconsin
http://www.kitlog.com/mykitlog/index.php?p=builders&builderid=154