Craig

Well Known Member
I'm to the point where I am installing the canopy and windscreen on my RV-8.

I am installing it according to Van's directions.

It hasn't occurred to me before, but it will be extremely difficult to replace either in the future. Especially the windscreen. It is going to be encapsulated in fiberglass. Even the screws in the rollbar will be covered. Plus, to get a new windscreen, you have to buy the entire bubble. Then cut it. But you can't fit it up on an existing canopy.

I'm sure it was one of the design compromises. Anything that would be repairable would be heavier and probably less aerodynamic.

Has anyone had to replace a windscreen after it was installed?

I'm sure folks have. Laird in California had a bird strike that went through the windshield of his -6. It ended up on the back wall of the baggage compartment.

In reality, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Just rip off the glass and old windshield, sand the fuselage forward and side skins down and re-install the whole set-up again. Don't get me wrong, it would be a mess especailly to your paint, but not impossible.

BTW, that's why I recommend you build the fairing off the airplane and then bond it into place and NOT use a bunch of bondo to fair it into the forward skins. To me, that's just a lot of work and extra weight.
Canopy70.jpg
Canopy72.jpg

Canopy74.jpg
Canopy76.jpg

I have not replaced mine but I have made it so it is possible to do with a mimimun of fuss.

I made my fairing at the base of my windscreen out of aluminum that is screwed in place with flush head screws. The fairing at the back edge of the windscreen (what is sometimes called the tiara) was made from fiberglass that is screwed to the rollbar with the same screws that attach the plexi. I used proseal as gap seal all around.

I hope I never have to reap the benefits of such a setup, but at least it is an option.

If you would like, I can email you some pics. For some reason I am having trouble posting them here.

Regards,

........ to get a new windscreen, you have to buy the entire bubble.......
Are you sure about having to buy the entire bubble? A few years ago I was not happy with a deep scratch discovered in the windshield portion of my -6A canopy that was not caught until well past the 30 day limit for claiming damaged and/or missing parts established by Van's. Vans referred me to Airplane Plastics of Tipp City OH. (937) 669-2677 who is Van's canopy vendor and I bought a replacement. Airplane Plastics told me they sold a substantial number of replacement windscreens for RV's. If they can produce and sell -6 series windscreens, why not the -8 series?

Maybe someone does sell just the windscreen. I haven't researched that yet.

There goes my million dollar idea.

Look what I just found on Aircraft Spruce

Oh I wish I wish I wish I had seen this when I did the fiberglass work on the windscreen.

fairingno4.jpg

Just under 5 bills and I would have written the check in a heartbeat.

I did exactly what Randy did on my -6. Looks much cleaner than the factory method, too. Why would anyone pay 5 bills for a pre-made one? It's so easy to make your own that fits perfectly the first time. I can imagine the pre-made one will take lots of work to fit properly, considering these airplanes are all a bit different in that area.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

Why

I did exactly what Randy did on my -6. Looks much cleaner than the factory method, too. Why would anyone pay 5 bills for a pre-made one? It's so easy to make your own that fits perfectly the first time. I can imagine the pre-made one will take lots of work to fit properly, considering these airplanes are all a bit different in that area.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

AFter seeing what Randy did - I would build one too. However, not seeing Randy's, I would buy becuase it was such a major PITA to me. ie: I didn't enjoy that part of the build.

Really the point was, gee, I didn't know you build it off the plane. Now I know!! I would have done it that way in a heartbeat. I also learned something and will be going back to improve what I did earlier.

attach

So Randy, how did you attach the forward section? I see you have it clecoed in one of the pictures.

I put some proseal in a baggie and clipped the end to create a squeeze tube. I laid a thin bead down on the aluminum and the windshield and used weights to hold it in place for a couple of days. Afer it dried, I also put a thin coat of proseal along the edge of the fairing and the windshield to create a smooth transition. If you put protective tape on the windshield and the fairing, let it dry, and then peel the tape of, you get a real neat and professional edge.

The rivets are there to make it look like a metal fairing. I wouldn't do it again because once it was painted, the rivets disappeared.

Canopy Damage

I'm posting for a friend, who damaged his -7 slider canopy by placing it too close to a space heater. I can post pictures later, but wanted to know if anyone thinks a canopy could be reheated and shaped back into the proper shape. The deformity is along the front of the passenger side of the sliding part. It appears to have "shrunk" slightly about 1/4" from the rivet line and has a slight noticable bump. The damaged area is about 10 square inches.

Does anyone have the rear half of a -7 slider for sale in the event his cannot be saved?

Thanks in advance,

Mark