medic311

This is a cool canopy release - any thoughts on how it was built?---found it on barnstormers today.

P1010029.JPG

No Magic here...

Sure looks like the standard RV-7 canopy release. Just paint it red.

Jim
-7 Fuse/Canopy/ELec/Panel/blah..blah..blah..

shows how much I know - I thought it was for jettison of the canopy during a bail-out.

It is. IIRC the canopy latch is behind your head where the canopy/rollbar meet. That red handle pulls some pins outta sumpin' so you can ditch your canopy.

Stock it is-but some delete it

A lot of builders have decided not to install it. One builder I know has even put his handle hidden under the instrument panel.

We've done several under the panel for folks who don't want to jettisson in flight. The release is still handy for maintenance.
Mel...DAR

Also, for this to work in-flight the builder must notch the forward deck skin and cover the gaps with some sort of thin fiberglass or something that the hinges can push through in an emergency.

Jamie is correct. In my case I use the 3M tape that is often used to cover the seams on gliders. Also if the mechanism is to be used in flight, you have to remove the "gas struts". The original RVs didn't use these struts. We have a flip up strut that is totally disconnected when the canopy is closed.
Of course none of this applies if you intend to use the mechanism for maintainence only.
Mel...DAR

No, but I will try to run out to the hangar today ad take some.
Then I'll have to try to figure out how to post them.
Mel...DAR

Mel:

If you can't figure out how to post them, send them to me in an e-mail and I'll post them for you.

jamie ****at**** jpainter.org