arffguy

Well Known Member
Seeing these posts today about interiors and glare shields reminded me of a question.

When I fly in my buddy's RV-6 the instrument panel reflection on the canopy is noticeable. He has the panel painted glossy light gray. I know some of you folks have used the krinkle coat paint, some have painted the glareshied while others have used the vinyl. Given the experienced crowd here do you have any suggestions or comments? Vinyl versus painted glareshields? Panel painted less glossy etc? Colors?

My glareshield is flat black. My panel is crinkle painted black. I never see reflections from those surfaces. My canopy frame and the canopy decks, fuselage interior, etc. are painted a beige color. I get noticable reflections from the beige surface, but it has never been irritating or annoying.

Glare

My glareshield is black leather glued to the sheetmetal. My instrument panel is PPG Concept (glossy) Arctic Gray. I've never noticed a reflection from either. I fly an RV-8.

Chris

My -6 has black leather glued to the glareshield and the panel is painted satin black. No reflection problems.

Glass Panel Issue

I was concerned about the reflections too. I was also concerned about built-up solar heat in the cockpit when parked for a $100 lunch. Well, the real issue with a glass panel is the backlighting. My big reflections are from my twin GRT screens.

On an RV6 slide canopy, I have the glare shield in flat black paint with a vinyl trim bead on the aft edge (Cleaveland Tool Product), Ford Tractor Gray panel (matches Van's powder coat exactly), steam gauges with minor LED & LCD electronic displays. Canopy bows remain Van's powder coat resulting in no noticeable reflections. I am very pleased with this simple, light, and very inexpensive method and will definitely do this again.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD
0-320 C/S
155 hrs.
Northfield, MN
RV8 Tail kit in progress, Wing Kit on hand.